This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#39902 by just4fn
Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:51 am
I have put my hub behind my router and my quality is now suffering. My router is a Netgear WGT624 with no QOS settings.
I wanted to use tomato firmware but it looks like its just for a Linksys routers. Should I buy a new router or are there other suggestions?

The reason I changed the configuration is the hub was disconnecting the internet and was messing with streaming shows. Since I have moved the hub behind the router- no disconnections
#40290 by bw1
Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:06 am
My Netgear router quit working, so I got the Linksys WRT54GL and loaded Tomato on it. I've had my Ooma devices both before and after the router and haven't noticed much difference, but I have decent bandwidth and don't do much heavy downloading.

I have setup QOS in Tomato, but I don't see much difference there either.

You may want to figure out what's causing the disconnections with the hub in front of the router and see if you can resolve that before getting another router.
#40302 by joeed2
Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:00 pm
Flash it with dd-wrt. You can get that at www.dd-wrt.com

Unless you have version 3 of WGT624, in which case throw it in the garbage and replace. It won't be flashable with any aftermarket firmware and only has 2 meg of ram and you won't be able to do anything with it.

If you have versions 1, 2, or 4, you should be good to go with dd-wrt. Those versions have 16 meg ram and 4 meg flash, so installing dd-wrt with QOS settings should do the job.

The only thing is that router is not officially supported, so you would have to flash it with the generic dd-wrt and might have to tinker around with it to get it to work. Depending on how much fooling around you want to do with it, you might want to consider replacing the router if you are determined to put Ooma after the router.

I had an old US robotics I flashed with dd-wrt, and messed around with it for a day and a half. I finally got it to work, but in the end wound up buying a new dlink 825 router that has great QOS out of the box and works great with Ooma after the router. It was a $149 router, but it was on sale at Best Buy for $129, and I had a $100 gift card someone gave me. So I walked out the store with it for 30 bucks out of pocket. If I didn't have the gift card, I would have passed on that. Then I probably would have gotten an old school Linksys WRT54GL from www.tigerdirect.com. Get the one with open source linux version for $64. Then flash it with tomato or dd-wrt. That router will be the best bang for the buck, and will have aftermarket support from tomato and dd-wrt for many years (decades) to come.
#40766 by just4fn
Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:30 pm
joeed2 wrote:Flash it with dd-wrt. You can get that at http://www.dd-wrt.com

Unless you have version 3 of WGT624, in which case throw it in the garbage and replace. It won't be flashable with any aftermarket firmware and only has 2 meg of ram and you won't be able to do anything with it.

If you have versions 1, 2, or 4, you should be good to go with dd-wrt. Those versions have 16 meg ram and 4 meg flash, so installing dd-wrt with QOS settings should do the job.

The only thing is that router is not officially supported, so you would have to flash it with the generic dd-wrt and might have to tinker around with it to get it to work. Depending on how much fooling around you want to do with it, you might want to consider replacing the router if you are determined to put Ooma after the router.

I had an old US robotics I flashed with dd-wrt, and messed around with it for a day and a half. I finally got it to work, but in the end wound up buying a new dlink 825 router that has great QOS out of the box and works great with Ooma after the router. It was a $149 router, but it was on sale at Best Buy for $129, and I had a $100 gift card someone gave me. So I walked out the store with it for 30 bucks out of pocket. If I didn't have the gift card, I would have passed on that. Then I probably would have gotten an old school Linksys WRT54GL from http://www.tigerdirect.com. Get the one with open source linux version for $64. Then flash it with tomato or dd-wrt. That router will be the best bang for the buck, and will have aftermarket support from tomato and dd-wrt for many years (decades) to come.

I just purchased the dlink 655. How do you have you qos setup for the hub? Are you just using the automatic qos?
#40775 by joeed2
Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:52 pm
The dlink 655 is excellent. I'm using the dlink 825, which has the same emulator. I just have the "Enable QOS Engine" and "Automatic Classification" checked. It works great like that.

I set it to automatic just to get things going, then was going to set up QOS engine rules for the Ooma ports. But automatic works so well I didn't even bother. If automatic doesn't give clear results, then you can give priorty to the Ooma ports in the engine rules. If you search the forums, there are a bunch of posts that lists the ports Ooma uses.

Also, check the dlink website and make sure you upgrade to the latest firmware. It could have been sitting on the shelf in the store for a while, so the firmware might not be the latest and greatest.
#40802 by KenAF
Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:02 pm
joeed2 wrote:I set it to automatic just to get things going, then was going to set up QOS engine rules for the Ooma ports. But automatic works so well I didn't even bother. If automatic doesn't give clear results, then you can give priorty to the Ooma ports in the engine rules. If you search the forums, there are a bunch of posts that lists the ports Ooma uses.

Alternative, you can just create a rule to give priority to the IP address used by the Ooma device, so any port used by the service is always given a higher priority.

Under Advanced -> QoS Settings, create a new entry called "Ooma" set to priority of 50. Set the local IP range to the device address (ex: 192.168.0.15 to 192.168.0.15) and set the remote IP range from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255. Set ports to Any.