This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#39959 by daet
Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:15 pm
scooterdog wrote:Hmm - since I'll be shopping for an 'N' wireless router, any particular recommendations on the brand/model to get? (I feel like such a newbie although at this point I just want to buy something that will work well, set it up and forget about it...)

I would recommend a dual-band wireless-N router. Something like the Linksys/Cisco WRT600N. The dual-band will work very very well for multimedia streaming applications (eg. HD-video). I've found Linksys routers to be rock solid (and like you have had a crappy experience with a Belkin router). The WRT600N has built-in support for QoS, and is also compatible with alternative open-source Linux-based firmware such as DD-WRT -- should you need to extend the capabilities of the router in the future.
#40728 by scooterdog
Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:43 pm
For the record, I purchased and installed a D-Link DIR-655 wireless n router this afternoon, and the packet loss is now down to 0.0%... here's the test I just ran:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.2 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6281640 bps
Upload speed: 3627904 bps
Download quality of service: 81 %
Upload quality of service: 86 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 50 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 87 ms
Average round trip time to server: 108 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 31200000bps
Route concurrency: 4.966856
Download TCP forced idle: 85 %
Maximum route speed: --

On Comcast HSI the evening speeds are much slower downloading than other times of the day, and now I'm happy that the call quality should go up. Now to unload the old router...