This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#39692 by rbritton
Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:09 am
Hi,

I have also had the problem with a pulsating buzz - what I expect others are also calling a beeping noise. Here is what was happening to me and how it is now solved (I think it is solved at least).

I have a Telo and cable internet. I have my landline (AT&T) integrated with the Telo since my number is in the process of being ported. Outgoing calls sound great. Incoming calls I get a persistent buzzing sound that pulses at a rate of a couple times per second. I have tried a number of things including calling support. Based on their recommendations I did a lot of manipulation to the QOS settings and nothing helped. The problem appears to be having the landline integrated into the phone. Not sure exactly the problem but here is why I'm sure that is the culprit. As part of premier you can get a second line for free. I did that yesterday and got a new number (not associated with my current landline). When people call the new number the call quality was great - possibly even better than my current landline. No buzz at all. In addition I am also getting my caller ID to work on the new number, which doesn't work with my number that is associated with my landline. In any event I expect the buzz to go away completely once my number is ported and I can get rid of the landline connection into the Telo. Not sure why the buzz is there so I can't help with that but hopefully this will help some of you out there. Thanks to you who replied to my previous posts on this issue.
#39717 by Fignewton
Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:16 pm
We've had this very problem since installing our Ooma Telo almost 1 month ago. It seems that whenever I make or receive any calls there's that annoying buzzing sound. However, when I make international calls it's as clear as a bell! Go figure. I've not ported my number as of yet just to see if the problem resolves itself. I suppose you could be right about the integrated landline issue. Can anyone offer an update once your number port is complete? Just curious to see if this is THE problem or is it a technical issue with the device itself. Thanks
#39723 by southsound
Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:38 pm
There are some number of people who have reported the same symptoms you are describing. Almost without exception, it is related to the fact that they integrated their landline. It is because of this that many of the forum oldtimers usually recommend against integration. It does not provide a good test for the Telo as all incoming and local outgoing go over the landline. You lose features - even more during the Premier trial with integration, and many have reported the buzz. It just takes a simple call to customer support to get them to reconfigure the Telo with a new ooma numb that can either go away or become a second number when you port your landline. Of course, until you port the call you will want to keep at least one phone on the landline. You might also de-integrate the Telo and use call forwarding on your landline to make calls to your original number ring through the Telo until the port is complete.
#39803 by rbritton
Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:59 am
Thanks Southsound. I didn't find that info on any of the forums I looked at but there are a lot of them. I also didn't get any indication during my calls to support that the issue might be a landline problem. It would be nice if this were part of a troubleshooting or FAQ because it seems that a lot of people are having this problem. From what I have read it makes people return their units. It is pretty annoying but for me paying my phone company $50 a month was more annoying so I stuck with it until I figured it out.
#39901 by dustydaniels
Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:39 am
If you are experiencing the buzz on calls from your integrated landline plugged into your Telo "Wall" jack, AND you plan to KEEP that configuration, the ONLY fix is to have Ooma REPLACE your Telo. This is a documented bug with the Telo. I had the same problem, and after over three weeks Ooma finally replaced my Telo and the problem was resolved. IF you only have the integrated landline configuration TEMPORARILY while you are waiting for your number to port, and you can't live with the buzz (until your number is ported), then an easier and quicker FIX is as follows: Contact your TELCO and request "Fixed Call Forward on Busy" and supply your new Ooma number as the number to forward all calls to, the cost is around $2.00/month and if you can cancel your "Caller-Id" you achieve a net savings. Once the service is active UNPLUG your landline from the Telo "Wall" jack. Second, you need to "short out" your landline from another phone jack (cross the red & green wires) creating a constant busy on your landline ( I shorted out my landline from the TELCO box outside because I am supplying dial-tone from my Telo to all my phone jacks). Now anyone calling your landline # will be automatically forwarded to your Ooma # AND you should still have caller-id on all calls (atleast that's how my service from CenturyLink works). AGAIN, if you plan to KEEP the integrated landline configuration, you need to request a REPLACEMENT Telo OR if you can live with the buzz until your number is ported, the problem should resolve itself once you unplug your landline from the Telo.

UPDATE: I contacted my Telco again and after speaking with three CSRs I was able to get what they call "Call Forward No Answer" this will work without having to short out, or create a constant busy on the landline AND Caller-id is provided.
Last edited by dustydaniels on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#39903 by southsound
Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:01 am
dustydaniels wrote: Contact your TELCO and request "Fixed Call Forward on Busy" and supply your new Ooma number as the number to forward all calls to, the cost is around $2.00/month and if you can cancel your "Caller-Id" you achieve a net savings. Once the service is active UNPLUG your landline from the Telo "Wall" jack. Second, you need to "short out" your landline from another phone jack (cross the red & green wires) creating a constant busy on your landline ( I shorted out my landline from the TELCO box outside because I am supplying dial-tone from my Telo to all my phone jacks).

As an old telco installer/engineer, I would like to strongly recommend AGAINST this technique. Most telcos have Call Forward All Calls availble at a similar rate. This is a much better option. You can even keep a phone attached in case of power failure or emergency since it will not ring. Shorting out your phone line for an extended period of time can do damage to the telco's equipment in some cases and can also trigger an alarm that will result in a telco tech visit that can cost you some money. It might even be something where the telco can consider it vandalism if they want to get nasty enough.
#39906 by dustydaniels
Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:21 am
southsound wrote:As an old telco installer/engineer, I would like to strongly recommend AGAINST this technique. Most telcos have Call Forward All Calls availble at a similar rate. This is a much better option. You can even keep a phone attached in case of power failure or emergency since it will not ring. Shorting out your phone line for an extended period of time can do damage to the telco's equipment in some cases and can also trigger an alarm that will result in a telco tech visit that can cost you some money. It might even be something where the telco can consider it vandalism if they want to get nasty enough.

IF your TELCO provides "Call Forward All Calls" then by all means that is a better solution, however IF NOT, (as in my case) I offer an alternative method as a TEMPORARY FIX ONLY!
#39915 by murphy
Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:00 am
dustydaniels wrote:
southsound wrote:As an old telco installer/engineer, I would like to strongly recommend AGAINST this technique. Most telcos have Call Forward All Calls availble at a similar rate. This is a much better option. You can even keep a phone attached in case of power failure or emergency since it will not ring. Shorting out your phone line for an extended period of time can do damage to the telco's equipment in some cases and can also trigger an alarm that will result in a telco tech visit that can cost you some money. It might even be something where the telco can consider it vandalism if they want to get nasty enough.

IF your TELCO provides "Call Forward All Calls" then by all means that is a better solution, however IF NOT, (as in my case) I offer an alternative method as a TEMPORARY FIX ONLY!

It would be better to connect a phone and leave it off hook. The off hook condition is not a direct short across the line.
#40856 by revenbos
Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:15 am
Move all devices,computer,phone hand sets etc..away from Telo port.I had the same problem.It turns out it was the Uniden cradle the charges the phone was too close to the Telo port device.Move it close ,it Buzzes.Move it away at least 18 to 24 inches it stopped the buzzing interference.
#40991 by barista
Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:54 pm
For me I discovered the same solution as revenbos. I have a 2-line Plantronics phone with headset only, with a landline connected to one line (not through the Telo) and the Telo connected to the second line. But I discovered that even if I unplugged both lines I could hear the buzz through the headset. But, if I move the Telo unit away from the phone the buzzing stops.

Ever since I have been amazed at the Ooma clarity.

-- Hal