This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#39522 by ryoung3
Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I recently switched to OOMA from COMCAST digital voice. After getting my number ported over to ooma, the quality of my ooma calls has degraded to the point where I'm thinking of switching back. My setup is modem>ooma hub> router. I've followed the FAQ advise for testing download and upload rates to set QOS etc. but to no avail. My VOIP test statistics are as follows:
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 11.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 725560 bps
Upload speed: 6561272 bps
Download quality of service: 41 %
Upload quality of service: 20 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 283 ms
Average download pause: 57 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 55 ms
Average round trip time to server: 98 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 1280000bps
Route concurrency: 1.7641546
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 9532360bps

These results don't look so good to me. Any hope for getting this system to work reliably?
From the other postings regarding QoS problems associated with LAN traffic, I don't feel encouraged that this problem will be easily solved. My call quality is typically good at the beginning of the phone call, then degrades to impossible to hear on either end after about 2 to 3 minutes. This is with QoS settings at 0, or at 6000/1000 kbps. Note: Does anyone else get upload speed much greater than download? That seems counter to everyone elses experience as well as intuition.
I'd very much appreciate any comments regarding my post. :?
#39541 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:25 pm
You're right about the tests, they don't look good. Go to http://192.168.100.1 and look at your modem's signal page. What are the upstream & downstream power levels, and the downstream signal to noise ratio?
#39545 by murphy
Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:32 pm
Did you run that test from a wireless laptop connection? If so, repeat the test from a hard wired computer.
Your download speed is very low.
#39561 by ryoung3
Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:03 pm
Groundhound wrote:You're right about the tests, they don't look good. Go to http://192.168.100.1 and look at your modem's signal page. What are the upstream & downstream power levels, and the downstream signal to noise ratio?

Downstream power level = -2 dBmV
SNR = 36 dB
Upstream power level = 53 dBmV
Upstream data rate = 5120 Ksym/sec
#39562 by ryoung3
Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:04 pm
murphy wrote:Did you run that test from a wireless laptop connection? If so, repeat the test from a hard wired computer.
Your download speed is very low.

I ran the test from a hard wired computer.
#39564 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:11 pm
ryoung3 wrote:
Groundhound wrote:You're right about the tests, they don't look good. Go to http://192.168.100.1 and look at your modem's signal page. What are the upstream & downstream power levels, and the downstream signal to noise ratio?

Downstream power level = -2 dBmV
SNR = 36 dB
Upstream power level = 53 dBmV
Upstream data rate = 5120 Ksym/sec

Your upstream power level is too high (should be <50) - sort of like your modem is having to scream to be heard. You should check the cable connections between your modem and the ground block outside - if you can eliminate any splitters that would help.
#39618 by joeed2
Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:00 pm
Also, make sure you are using RG6 cable. My house was wired with RG59, which was fine when I used DSL for internet and analog cable for tube TV's. But when I went to flat panel HD TV's and Cable Modem, I got fuzzy picture on the flat panels and poor internet connection speed.

I went over to Home Depot and bought a spool of quad-shield RG6, and rewired all the cable from the box off the street, to my house, then distributed throughout my house. Replacing all the RG59 with RG6 made an incredible difference in picture quality on the TV's and just about doubled my cable internet speed. It was a lot of rework, but well worth it.
#39637 by Soundjudgment
Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:47 pm
joeed2 wrote:I went over to Home Depot and bought a spool of quad-shield RG6, and rewired all the cable from the box off the street, to my house, then distributed throughout my house. Replacing all the RG59 with RG6 made an incredible difference in picture quality on the TV's and just about doubled my cable internet speed. It was a lot of rework, but well worth it.

It is quite possible that if someone originally wired your house up with lowly RG59U, they might also have used sub-standard signal-splitters along the path as well. Be sure those signal-splitters are of commercial/house-cable grade, which could boost the overall distribution a few more dB. Any lower-quality splitters can contribute to degraded cable signals.
#39641 by joeed2
Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:16 pm
Yes, I also replaced all the splitters. It originally had cheap rusted out looking splitters. I replaced them with high-end splitters for digital cable/satelite. I also collapsed everything down, and just ran the shortest runs of RG6 with the minimum amount of splitters to get the job done. The original setup had a bunch of dead-end runs, and splits all over the place. Also had about 5 splices underground in the run between the box on the street and my house. That happened over the years when someone doing landscaping would hit the cable with a shovel or something and cut the cable. The cable was probably burried 2 inches deep. Then Comcast would come over and simply splice the cable. I even ran the new RG6 inside heavy grade schedule 80 PVC pipe, and layed the pipe deep, about 8 inches deep. So it won't get cut again. It was a lot of work to change everything out, but worth it.
#39807 by ryoung3
Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:10 am
joeed2 wrote:Also, make sure you are using RG6 cable. My house was wired with RG59, which was fine when I used DSL for internet and analog cable for tube TV's. But when I went to flat panel HD TV's and Cable Modem, I got fuzzy picture on the flat panels and poor internet connection speed.

I went over to Home Depot and bought a spool of quad-shield RG6, and rewired all the cable from the box off the street, to my house, then distributed throughout my house. Replacing all the RG59 with RG6 made an incredible difference in picture quality on the TV's and just about doubled my cable internet speed. It was a lot of rework, but well worth it.

That's something I haven't tried. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know the outcome when I get around to doing that. All the cabling was installed by COMCAST, about 10 years ago. There are some long cable runs, but COMCAST has been out to troubleshoot signal levels several times over the years. I was getting fine Digital Phone service through COMCAST, but paying a lot for it, so decided to switch to ooma and now I'm switching back, because I can't afford to wait to get the problem fixed. I'll still keep the ooma hooked up and perhaps try the RG6 route. However, I'm also now a little peeved that my download rates are so slow, so will start complaining to COMCAST, again.