This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#39284 by sm2953
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:22 pm
I need help. I installed the ooma hub and scouts with no problems. (During this time - my lan line was still connected. The telephone company was notified, but it took them a while to get it disconnected.) About two and a half weeks ago, people who call us complained about not being able to hear us well - poor connection. However, now they can hear us only for about 2 seconds and then they can no longer hear us at all. We can hear them fine. I have a wireless internet service and a router only. My hook up is: wireless network into my D-Link Wireless router (WAN) port, ethernet from router into Ooma modem port, Home port ethernet cable into my computer. I have tried the computer hooked directly into the router with no better results. The wall telephone wire is connected to the Ooma wall port and the Ooma phone port hooked into the phone. I have tried wireless phones and corded phones with no difference. Why would it work for a while and not now? I do not have great Download or Upload speeds, but as I said - it was working fine.
Upload Speeds range from 1.42Mb/s - 2.65Mb/s, and Download Speeds from .32 Mb/s - .74 Mb/s, Jitter from 60 - 80, 0% packet loss.
#39301 by daet
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:49 pm
sm2953 wrote:... I have a wireless internet service and a router only. My hook up is: wireless network into my D-Link Wireless router (WAN) port, ethernet from router into Ooma modem port, Home port ethernet cable into my computer.

There have been periodic reports here, and elsewhere (amazon.com) about Ooma (and other VoIP devices) not working well with wireless internet access. See http://www.ooma.com/support/faqs?tab=setup#faq-335 for more information.
#39305 by daet
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:51 pm
sm2953 wrote:Jitter: 26.7
Download 876 Kbps
Upload 209Kbps
MOS score 3.4
Quality of Service: 49%

The problem is with your QoS, and having no experience with wireless internet, I don't know how you can improve it. But I think that others here will.
#39306 by Groundhound
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:58 pm
sm2953 wrote:Jitter: 26.7
Download 876 Kbps
Upload 209Kbps
MOS score 3.4
Quality of Service: 49%

Doesn't look like the connection is of sufficient quality to support VoIP. Who is your ISP? From where does the wireless signal originate relative to your router/ooma?
#39312 by sm2953
Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:09 pm
Greyhound, We subscribe to Mercury Internet in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, about 15 miles from our home. There is a tower within two miles from here. We have a dish for the service on top of our garage. I don't know if that answers your question. I am not familiar with internet terms.
When I ran the test it said that my upload and download speeds were sufficient for a good quality voice connection through the internet, but that the quality of service was the problem. How do I go about getting that fixed. I have already contacted Mercury Internet and they think I need a higher upload and download speed - but as I said - it was working fine when I first hooked it up.