This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#39094 by rbritton
Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:23 pm
Hi,

I have a Telo that is connected both to the internet and landline (currently waiting for my number to be ported). I used to have ATT DSL and call quality was fine except for incoming calls. When people would call in there would be a series of evenly spaced buzzes that repeat a couple of times per second. I have since switched to cable internet but the problem hasn't cleared up. I have hooked up an old wired phone to my Telo and still get the same buzzing sounds so it is not something that is happening with my wireless telephone. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this? I thought it was my DSL but that doesn't seem to be the case.
#39097 by jcarcopo
Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:56 pm
Google Ground Loop - Have Fun! They can be very hard to locate the cause and rectify, but try lifting the ground by using a 2 prong to 3 prong adapter on the source of the hum (which is hard to determine sometimes) or on the device that is experiencing the problem. This is what I would tell people in high end audio, but that rarely works. Plug the telo in to another circuit and see if it helps, then try other devices. If that doesn't work get some jenson isolation transformers or hire an electrician and run a dedicated ground to the thing causing the loop or run a circuit to the ooma and phone.

Common things that cause ground loops - your telo is connected to the phone line that is improperly grounded. Your fridge is putting a 60hz hum on the wire and is not shunting to ground properly or bad wiring or grounding, your coax for cable is causing a 2nd ground path to your internet or tv and that circuit has a ground loop.

I have had more luck using isolation transformers or moving my audio equipment to another circuit or ensuring my telephone and cable is properly grounded and not creating a 2nd path for a ground loop.

Jenson used to have lots of information on detecting the cause and ameliorating the problem with their GROUND LOOP KIT that you can buy.

Isolation transformers for power are made by several company. Richard Grey Power Company has expensive ones for audiophiles. Look for something cheaper if you can.
#39378 by rbritton
Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:28 pm
Thanks for the info jcarcopo. Before I try some of your suggestions I have one question. If there is a ground problem or some other electrical issue - why only the buzzing sound on incoming calls? Outgoing is no issue. No buzzing whatsoever. So I'm a bit confused on what could be causing the buzz. Is it possible that ground issues could only affect incoming calls?