This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#37576 by Vayu
Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:38 pm
Hi,

People complains that sometime they can not hear me at all. In an active conversation, suddenly they stop getting my voice for few seconds. Though voice quality is not choppy at all. For example: say I speak 5 sentance in one shot and the person at the other end hears only 1 sentance then a silence then 4th or 5th sentance. It happens most of the time when I use a phone which is connected to the scout. What could be the reason?

I've following setup:

Comcast cable -> ooma -> 1st phone
Comcast cable -> ooma -> Telephone Jack 1-> telephone jack 2 -> Scout -> 2nd Phone

here the VOIP test result:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 2.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 20541000 bps
Upload speed: 3368224 bps
Download quality of service: 96 %
Upload quality of service: 93 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 18 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 29 ms
Average round trip time to server: 32 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 23200000bps
Route concurrency: 1.1294484
Download TCP forced idle: 31 %
Maximum route speed: --
#37600 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:39 am
Your stats are fine, if you had an Internet connection problem it would affect both phones, not just the one connected to the Scout. Have you tried switching the phones?
#38014 by zzyjohn
Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:22 pm
I am using Qwest DSL(Up to 7Mbps downstream, 896kbps upstream).
Usually OOMA works fine. But whenever I watch the video online, people can't hear my voice.
I tried different QOS settings, but none of them work.
Here are the settings I have tried.
QOS upstream: 0, 384, 851, 540.
Downstream: 0, 0, 2384, 3525.

Looks like QOS is not working very well on my OOMA TELO. Does anyone have any ideas to solve this issue? My wife complainted this problem several times, and I have to think about to return it to Costco.

Thanks in advance!

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 49.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.9 ms
Packet discards: 0.1 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.7

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 3179656 bps
Upload speed: 113544 bps
Download quality of service: 63 %
Upload quality of service: 4 %
Maximum TCP delay: 233 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 374 ms
Average round trip time to server: 582 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 6080000bps
Route concurrency: 1.9121566
Download TCP forced idle: 85 %
#38036 by murphy
Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:25 am
You have an ISP problem.
49.5 ms jitter is bad.
4% quality on upload is extremely bad.
TCP delay is at least double what it should be.

Were these measurements taken with a computer that was hardwired to your network?
They are invalid if the computer was connected via a wireless connection.
#38047 by zzyjohn
Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:01 am
Thanks for your reply!

I tested again. Here are the new results. Much better? But I still have same problem. Whenever I download big file or watch video online, people can't hear my voice on the phone. Shall QOS take care of this problem? When the phone is using, QOS shall limit the upstream and downstream on computer and guarantee enough bandwidth for the phone.
Bad experience on the "new" technology. It's easy to complain ISP, but I don't think they will have any methods to improve it. If I can't find the solution,I have no choice but to return it back.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.7 ms
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6089616 bps
Upload speed: 726856 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 93 %
Maximum TCP delay: 106 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 89 ms
Average round trip time to server: 89 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 6089616bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 3 %
#38050 by Groundhound
Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:31 am
zzyjohn wrote:Shall QOS take care of this problem? When the phone is using, QOS shall limit the upstream and downstream on computer and guarantee enough bandwidth for the phone.
Bad experience on the "new" technology. It's easy to complain ISP, but I don't think they will have any methods to improve it. If I can't find the solution,I have no choice but to return it back.

Your issue does sound like a QoS problem, and you posted some settings you've tried earlier, but how is your Telo connected to your modem and router? For Ooma's QoS settings to have any effect, it must be connected directly to your modem and before your router.
#38057 by zzyjohn
Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:11 am
I connect TELO directly to DSL modem. DSL_MODEM->OOMA_TELO->PC(DESKTOP).
My Modem is "Actiontec PK5000". It has wireless feature, but I don't use it. It also has buildin router that can connect 4 computer. But I only use one port and it is directly connected to TELO.

Thanks for your quick reply!
#38062 by zzyjohn
Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:44 am
Tried one more experiment. I download a big file, and the other people can't hear my voice. Then I disconnect the cable to the computer and the voice become very clear. That also makes me to believe that QOS is not working correctly.
#38084 by Groundhound
Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:31 pm
zzyjohn wrote:Tried one more experiment. I download a big file, and the other people can't hear my voice. Then I disconnect the cable to the computer and the voice become very clear. That also makes me to believe that QOS is not working correctly.

If I understand correctly, all of your Internet traffic is routed through the Telo. When you tried your last experiment, what was the setting for both upsteam and downstream QoS in the Telo?
#38091 by zzyjohn
Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:52 pm
Yes, all of my Internet traffic is routed through the Telo.
QOS setting: upstream=465, downstream=4210.

I have find a solution. I downloaded a P2P control software. And use the software to limit the upstream and downstream from the computer. I limit the Internet traffic speed to to upstream=208 and downstream=2720. Now when I watch video online, the other people can hear my voice clearly. But I am disappointed in OOMA's QOS technology. Seems OOMA hasn't fully tested the hardware before they sell it to customer.

Please let me know if you have any other solutions or opinion.

Thanks!