This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#42706 by chrisbowden
Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:34 am
1/20/10 - Update

After waiting 10 business days from the date that I was told that I would receive the replacement handset, I called Ooma back to find out where the unit was as I had still not received the unit nor any correspondence from the company with a tracking number or anything. I spoke with Jesse in Customer Service and was continually placed on hold while she looked over my case. After being on hold, she said that engineering was still looking into the issue and would either contact me to troubleshoot the issue or would authorize a replacement at that time.

Insert rapid raise in blood pressure here

I told Jesse that she needed to put me on the phone with her supervisor right away. She agreed and placed me on hold. After a 10 minute wait, she came back on the line to inform me that the supervisor was still on the other line and requested that they call me back. I refused, knowing good and well that I would not receive a call back. She placed me on hold again. Another 5 minutes went by and she came back on the line asking me where I purchased the handset. I went through the whole thing with her and explained that it was sent directly from Ooma. She put me on hold again. About a minute later, she came back and stated that the replacement order had been sent to Palo Alto under my case number and that I should be receiving contact from them for the replacement.

No date was given to me except "7-10 business days".

Truly this is not a "make or break" issue for me with this handset, but it's darn close to it. If I had to deal with this for any other issue, I would have canceled the service, demanded a refund, and taken my business elsewhere. I really hope that they improve things rapidly for their sake. Where I was first extremely impressed with the service and device (Telo base unit) and recommended it to several friends (one of which signed up purely based on my recommendation), I have now completely stopped recommending Ooma and would be very reluctant to give them any sort of positive recommendation. This is why good companies go under.

I'll update again when something happens.
#42829 by kelkin
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:54 pm
Wow, that makes me scared.. Ooma told me they were going to send me a replacement handset too because of my issues, but hell. I'm just going to go exchange it at best buy again. This afternoon I took the handset off the charger, pressed the speakerphone button, and it died again!

I hate to be a complainer, but they're not making it easy not to be one,
-Keith
#44326 by chrisbowden
Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:37 pm
Update:

Well, UPS showed up at my doorstep yesterday with a new Telo Handset. No email or notice, it just showed up. I immediately swapped out the unit and this unit does sound marginally better, but still has the background or "comfort noise" that everyone is talking about now. It's like an overly sensitive mic or something so you get this constant sound in your ear - on both ends with my tests. Overall, this unit is better though, so I'm going to keep it and see if they improve the issue with firmware updates.

I now have another problem though. I registered the handset with my system and it is listed as "Handset 2" and tied to my main number and not to my second number (which is the whole point of having this thing anyway). I went through the forums and found the "factory reset" instructions for the base unit and handset. I deleted the other Telo handset from the system through the web interface and then attempted the reset on the base unit and the reset sequence does not work for some reason. Maybe they've changed it. The reset of the handset works, but it still keeps pulling up as "Handset 2" with my main line.

Bottom line is that I now can't get this handset to work with my second line. Very frustrating. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
#44617 by eug
Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:37 am
To add a data point, I received my Telo and a handset from costco.com yesterday, and while the call quality through the Telo with a wired handset sounds pretty good, the audio quality through the Handset is so noisy and staticky, it makes talking impossible.

I'm glad I got it from Costco so I can just return it without dealing with what sounds like, from this thread, the worst customer service I've ever heard of.

By the way, all of the marketing photos of the Handset appear to have a snazzy white-on-black display. Do any of them actually have this? The one I received has a regular black-on-gray LCD.
#47416 by markgrey
Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:15 pm
Just to add to the point.... I have two new Telo handsets on a Telo system purchased last month. The call quality on these handsets is terrible. Hissing and static are the norm. For a Dect 6.0 set, I would expect a range of more than 20 feet before static sets in. I use these two handsets to dedicate two lines of service through the Telo. If it supported two lines itself through the POTS line, I would drop these like a hot potato. Hope firmware updates will address these issues. Tech support is no help in resolving the problems.
#47455 by amoney
Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:11 am
Note the DECT 6.0 standard is nothing really better than 2.4 or 5.8 ghz, DECT actually operates on 1.9 ghz, recall that wireless phone performance increased as we went up the spectrum, now we are actually going backwards (let me go dig out my 900 mhz phone). DECT is a standard that was been used in europe for awhile now. I believe the switch here in the US was mainly to clean up the air ways and to get away from overlapping interferrence with wireless networks that operate on the same frequency 2.4 and 5.8 ghz.

However the reports of call quality with the Telo handset are bad, it would indicate other build issues with the handset. As an earlier post indicated a replacement handset had better call quality.
#47483 by chrisbowden
Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:42 am
2/17/10 update...

Well... I've resolved to myself that these issue just are not going to go away any time soon. After a few more phone calls and a few more hours on the phone with technical support, they were unable to fix the new issue with my new handset. I was able to get it assigned to my secondary number finally but it still has "issues". Bottom line is that in my opinion, these handsets are VERY poorly manufactured, which seems to be a polar opposite to the Telo base unit which I have been extremely satisfied with. At this point I'm done wasting my valuable time dealing with tech support persons that clearly have no idea how to assist me with this issue. I've been promised once again that I will receive a call from a "higher up" in tech support to address my issue. That was promised to me over a week ago and I am not holding my breath on ever receiving a call from them.

This whole experience takes me back to when I first started VOIP usage with Vonage years ago. Fortunately, with time, the quality of service and quality of customer service went up. My hope is that Ooma will do the same, but that is contingent on others signing up and continuing to fund the venture.

As I stated, I'm resolved to the handset not being settled at this point. I'm just going to focus on the base unit for now and watch my service there to ensure that things stay on the up and up on that end. If anything does happen with customer service and they do fix my handset, I will post another update at that time. For now, good luck all!
#47514 by Davesworld
Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:07 pm
amoney wrote:Note the DECT 6.0 standard is nothing really better than 2.4 or 5.8 ghz, DECT actually operates on 1.9 ghz, recall that wireless phone performance increased as we went up the spectrum, now we are actually going backwards (let me go dig out my 900 mhz phone). DECT is a standard that was been used in europe for awhile now. I believe the switch here in the US was mainly to clean up the air ways and to get away from overlapping interferrence with wireless networks that operate on the same frequency 2.4 and 5.8 ghz.

Performance certainly did not go up with frequency. There are many factors that make DECT 6 superior, the voice codec being only one of them but we could do a whole thread on this subject.
#47548 by amoney
Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:26 pm
Davesworld wrote:
amoney wrote:Note the DECT 6.0 standard is nothing really better than 2.4 or 5.8 ghz, DECT actually operates on 1.9 ghz, recall that wireless phone performance increased as we went up the spectrum, now we are actually going backwards (let me go dig out my 900 mhz phone). DECT is a standard that was been used in europe for awhile now. I believe the switch here in the US was mainly to clean up the air ways and to get away from overlapping interferrence with wireless networks that operate on the same frequency 2.4 and 5.8 ghz.

Performance certainly did not go up with frequency. There are many factors that make DECT 6 superior, the voice codec being only one of them but we could do a whole thread on this subject.

Guess it was just my experience, certainly going up from 900 mhz to the ghz for me improved reception and range (although I did not really see much between 2.4 and 5.8).

Agreed about the codec, in fact I actually perfer the sound quality on my 5.8, but that could be due to other "features" of the handset that make it sound the way it does, go figure.