This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#37536 by chrisbowden
Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:51 pm
Just received my Telo Handset via UPS about 4 hours ago. Let it charge up a bit and went ahead and got it set up with my 6 week old Telo base unit. Activation of the unit went smooth and I was able to associate my handset to the secondary number that I set up. However, when using the phone, I get HORRIBLE background noise from the device, both from the mic and the earpiece. I took the time to move the base unit where there would be less of an issue with interference, but that did nothing for it. The connection was fine, just really bad background noise.

I called my cell phone from the unit and the background noise was audible on the other end as well. When I put the Telo handset on mute during the call, it was like I had just walked out of a bathroom with running water into complete silence. We haven't had any issues with the service itself on our other phones throughout the house, so I don't believe it has anything to do with the setup. The build of the device seems to be the issue. I do like all of the features and the compact design. The LCD screen could be better, but overall, it's not bad. I really think that this issue may be with the hardware, but I'm not an engineer so it's possible that it's just a software issue.

So... does anyone know if this is an issue with all of the Telo Handsets that is going to be corrected with a firmware update or is this an issue that is specific to this device?

I checked the phone and it is running the latest firmware, so I don't think that's an issue. It may just be an over sensitive microphone and earpiece. Regardless, the issue is making the call quality on that device a major problem. I really want this thing to work so that I can get the full benefits of the 2nd line for my home office.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!
Chris
#37590 by bubba_paul
Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:41 am
I have the exact same problem , the call quality is BAD. I have tried to send 3 emails to support with my problem but have not got a responce. So I have called the support line 4 times, each time the made me go through 30 or more min of trying different things, and it ends up, with them telling me they will need to check a few things and call me back in 20 min. Well guess what, no one ever calls back. I need help getting the hand set replaced, can anyone help!!!

I am very happy with the telo unit with my standard phones, but the Hand set it a waste of time.
Unhappy Telo Handset user
#38195 by chrisbowden
Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:03 am
Update:

Called customer support. Unfortunately, I was put on the line with a very inexperienced support person that couldn't seem to figure out what steps I needed to take in his list of things for me to do so that my case could be escalated to the next tier. I figured out what the steps were on my own, only to confirm what I suspected. The issue appears to be hardware, not software. I was given the ol "we'll call you in 24-48 hours". So... we'll see how well they respond. Bottom line is that there may not be anything that any tech can do if the hardware is bad. I wonder if this is just a single bad unit or if they had a bad batch, or if all of the units are junk.

Anyone out there have a Telo Handset that works great??? I'd love to know so that if someone does, there will be hope that I can get a good replacement and not have to go through refunds and whatnot.

On the bright side, the service is still running strong and I'm very pleased with it. I even ran a fax yesterday with no problems whatsoever. TAKE THAT Vonage! (where I could only get 1 out of 10 faxes to go through)

Come on Ooma... I know you can fix this!!!
#38198 by WayneDsr
Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:21 am
At the moment, I have no idea what might be causing your issue. However I'd like you to know that I have a handset and it is extremely quiet. You may want to record the phone when it's doing it's thing and upload it here, someone might be able to figure out what the noise could be.

Is your Telo integrated with your landline by any chance? There was an issue with that a while back, not sure if it's fixed or not.

Wayne
#38208 by dsinternet
Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:56 pm
I have the same problems with my handset. I got my handset from Amazon at the end of Nov and can return them anytime before Jan 31. So I am going to return my handset once my Premier ends and wait and wait until things get better. I know the handset will one day be great, since Ooma has always gotten things right (it just takes them a long time). At that point I will sign up for Premier and get the a new handset with my year of Premier.
I really love the instant second phone line that comes with the Telo handset and Premier. I will miss it while I wait for things to get better.
#38860 by chrisbowden
Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:33 pm
WayneDsr wrote:At the moment, I have no idea what might be causing your issue. However I'd like you to know that I have a handset and it is extremely quiet. You may want to record the phone when it's doing it's thing and upload it here, someone might be able to figure out what the noise could be.

Is your Telo integrated with your landline by any chance? There was an issue with that a while back, not sure if it's fixed or not.

Wayne

Thank you for letting me know that the issue is not across all handset hardware. In response to your questions, my Telo is not integrated with a landline and I'll have to figure out a way to record the noise. Any pointer on that would be helpful as it currently escapes me. I had the tech from Ooma call me on the line so that he could hear it for himself, which prompted the escalation to the next level. I have not heard back from anyone at Ooma in over a week. We'll wait and see.
#38863 by dsinternet
Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:01 pm
I also have a Telo Handset and have poor quality with it. It does not sound as bad as yours. I was thinking the problem was with all handsets. I guess I have a bad handset (one of the first ones that came out).
#40501 by chrisbowden
Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:29 pm
Update: 1/6/10

Called Ooma support on 1/4 and the tech was very apologetic and stated that he would call me back by the end of his shift as engineering kept putting him on hold and thereby putting me on hold.

He never called back

I called back again today and spoke with a lady who obviously had no technical experience as she attempted to go through troubleshooting with me again by telling me that I needed to change the wireless channel on my wireless router and move the Telo 200 feet away from the router. :-) That's right, she said 200 feet. I suppose my neighbor could plug my router up in his house so that I could get the proper distance.

After I told her that was unreasonable, she placed me on hold again for about 5 minutes. When she came back to do more "troubleshooting", I asked her to just call my Ooma Telo Handset so that she could hear what was going on herself. She said she would and put me on hold. After holding around 10 minutes, the call was ended on her end. Nice.

So, I picked up my Ooma Telo Handset, ready to throw it through the wall, and called support back. I laid my issue out with the tech support guy (Scott) right up front and didn't wait to have him run through "troubleshooting" since he could clearly hear the issue since I called him from the device.

SO.... after all of that, Scott apologized that the issue wasn't taken care of back in December and said that he was putting in an order for a replacement device and that I should receive it in 7-10 business days. THANK YOU

Bottom line, I hope that the new unit will be defect free and that Ooma will work on it's tech support & customer service. I'll update when the new unit comes in (hopefully with good news). Here's hoping!
#42169 by kelkin
Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:50 am
chrisbowden wrote:Update: 1/6/10

Called Ooma support on 1/4 and the tech was very apologetic and stated that he would call me back by the end of his shift as engineering kept putting him on hold and thereby putting me on hold.

He never called back

I called back again today and spoke with a lady who obviously had no technical experience as she attempted to go through troubleshooting with me again by telling me that I needed to change the wireless channel on my wireless router and move the Telo 200 feet away from the router. :-) That's right, she said 200 feet. I suppose my neighbor could plug my router up in his house so that I could get the proper distance.

After I told her that was unreasonable, she placed me on hold again for about 5 minutes. When she came back to do more "troubleshooting", I asked her to just call my Ooma Telo Handset so that she could hear what was going on herself. She said she would and put me on hold. After holding around 10 minutes, the call was ended on her end. Nice.

So, I picked up my Ooma Telo Handset, ready to throw it through the wall, and called support back. I laid my issue out with the tech support guy (Scott) right up front and didn't wait to have him run through "troubleshooting" since he could clearly hear the issue since I called him from the device.

SO.... after all of that, Scott apologized that the issue wasn't taken care of back in December and said that he was putting in an order for a replacement device and that I should receive it in 7-10 business days. THANK YOU

Bottom line, I hope that the new unit will be defect free and that Ooma will work on it's tech support & customer service. I'll update when the new unit comes in (hopefully with good news). Here's hoping!

I'm curious if your replacement is any good? I'm having the same problem with my telo handset.
#42188 by chrisbowden
Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:45 pm
Unfortunately, I still have not received the replacement unit. I called Ooma last week and the customer service rep tried to go through troubleshooting with me all over again. I just about lost it and told her that I just needed to know if my replacement unit had been shipped out. She indicated that it was showing that it was shipped out in their system, but there was no tracking number associated with the shipment. So, who knows. I hope to see the unit sometime this coming week. I'll be sure to let everyone know the outcome once I receive the new unit.