This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#36734 by larry j
Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:43 am
Since my alarm system seems to be working fine with the Ooma Telo and I love the features and call quality, I've decided to keep it.

But I am having issues with one number and unfortunately, it's the number I call the most (my parents). They have a VOIP system supplied by their phone company. When I call them, they sometimes never hear it ringing, or when they answer they can't hear me, or sometimes I cut out. Oh and sometimes the call just drops in the middle of a conversation. I've pretty much realized that all calls to my parents will be on my cell phone.

I've had no issues with any other calls.

The only reason I bring this up here is that I recall reading another post where someone suggested that Ooma can address issues between Ooma customers and certain phone systems/networks. Does anyone know if this is true? Could Ooma support possibly do something in a future firmware update that would make my calls to this particular phone number better? My parents' phone company is a locally owned company, so they aren't part of a huge phone system. It's just a small town that happens to be using fiber to the curb for phone, TV and internet.

I'm also curious about my download QOS. Maybe this is a factor, but I don't get why I would only have problems with this one number. It was 84% for this test, but I've seen it in the 70s. Is there anything I can do to improve this? My current setup: Cable modem (basement) - Apple Airport Extreme (basement) - Apple Airport Extreme (upstairs) - Ooma - My computer. Everything in this chain is connected via ethernet, no wireless. The other computers in the house are fed by one of the 2 routers. I can't really put the Ooma in front of the routers unless I put it in the basement and I like seeing those pretty blue lights.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 7549432 bps
Upload speed: 4119720 bps
Download quality of service: 84 %
Upload quality of service: 91 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 49 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 72 ms
Average round trip time to server: 74 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 19200000bps
Route concurrency: 2.5432377
Download TCP forced idle: 63 %
Maximum route speed: --

Thanks!
#36905 by hpepper
Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:00 am
I know this is something you have already thought of, but just in case you haven't... do your parents have any other problems with any calls in or out to/from them, or is it just you?

Just thinking it might be on their end.
#37168 by larry j
Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:50 am
Their system is a little quirky. Every once is a while, I had issues similar to what I'm experiencing now when I called them on my landline or cell phone.

But with Ooma it's pretty much a guaranteed issue with every call.

I need to do more testing by having them call my Ooma number to see if the problems are as persistent when the call originates on their end.