But I am having issues with one number and unfortunately, it's the number I call the most (my parents). They have a VOIP system supplied by their phone company. When I call them, they sometimes never hear it ringing, or when they answer they can't hear me, or sometimes I cut out. Oh and sometimes the call just drops in the middle of a conversation. I've pretty much realized that all calls to my parents will be on my cell phone.
I've had no issues with any other calls.
The only reason I bring this up here is that I recall reading another post where someone suggested that Ooma can address issues between Ooma customers and certain phone systems/networks. Does anyone know if this is true? Could Ooma support possibly do something in a future firmware update that would make my calls to this particular phone number better? My parents' phone company is a locally owned company, so they aren't part of a huge phone system. It's just a small town that happens to be using fiber to the curb for phone, TV and internet.
I'm also curious about my download QOS. Maybe this is a factor, but I don't get why I would only have problems with this one number. It was 84% for this test, but I've seen it in the 70s. Is there anything I can do to improve this? My current setup: Cable modem (basement) - Apple Airport Extreme (basement) - Apple Airport Extreme (upstairs) - Ooma - My computer. Everything in this chain is connected via ethernet, no wireless. The other computers in the house are fed by one of the 2 routers. I can't really put the Ooma in front of the routers unless I put it in the basement and I like seeing those pretty blue lights.
VoIP test statistics
Jitter: you --> server: 0.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1
Speed test statistics
Download speed: 7549432 bps
Upload speed: 4119720 bps
Download quality of service: 84 %
Upload quality of service: 91 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 49 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 72 ms
Average round trip time to server: 74 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 19200000bps
Route concurrency: 2.5432377
Download TCP forced idle: 63 %
Maximum route speed: --
Just thinking it might be on their end.
But with Ooma it's pretty much a guaranteed issue with every call.
I need to do more testing by having them call my Ooma number to see if the problems are as persistent when the call originates on their end.