This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#36680 by jello4
Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:56 pm
Well OOMA has me frustrated and it is on the verge of being kicked out. Here's my story,

My Setup: Cable Model <-> Telo <-> Router <-> Home Network

I have an OOMA Telo connected directly to my Comcast cable modem, QOS upstream is set to 384, downstream is set to zero. I have intermitted issues with people not being able to hear me, I constantly get comments like 'your phone stinks', 'I can't hear you, call me back'. I can hear everyone just fine - I can't tell there is a problem from my end. I enabled QoS because of the same comments. What am I doing wrong?

I originally had OOMA set behind my firewall with QoS provided by my router but had the same issues, now in front of the router the same thing is happening. makes me think 1) cable internet stinks or 2) OOMA stinks. I get a consistent upload speed when ever I test of 768k or better, download is 6M. I set QoS to 384 (default) thinking I would always have at least that and OOMA voice up would never need more than 256K.

Also, side note - today I had to reboot the Telo because it was not passing any internet traffic to my router and was flashing red with the handset saying 'no VPN'. I reset the cable modem, did not fix the problem. I reset the telo, everything was fine.

My device is Rev 1.31720

Thoughts?
#36681 by hpepper
Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:04 pm
It would also help if you could run a speedtest at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

There are more things that need tested other than just download and upload speed.

Click on the text version at the end of all the testing and post it back here and the more experinced user community might be able to help.
#36685 by jello4
Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:32 pm
As tested:

Test 1:
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 4.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.8 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6192128 bps
Upload speed: 2454216 bps
Download quality of service: 90 %
Upload quality of service: 88 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 74 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 78 ms
Average round trip time to server: 88 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 8000000bps
Route concurrency: 1.291963
Download TCP forced idle: 26 %
Maximum route speed: 6721536bps

Test 2:
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6112192 bps
Upload speed: 2520664 bps
Download quality of service: 96 %
Upload quality of service: 92 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 84 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 80 ms
Average round trip time to server: 83 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 8800000bps
Route concurrency: 1.4397453
Download TCP forced idle: 28 %
Maximum route speed: 6553496bps
#38810 by jlflow
Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:16 am
I too had excellent test results

I also adjusted QOS settings, ran another ping test, checked my configuration, checked my cables, note that there are multiple Vonage devices working on our government provided ISP, checked the phone on an actual landline, and noted that my Skype works perfectly fine on this network.

When I called customer service they attempted to blame my incompetence, I had to take it to headquarters in Palo Alto to have any action taken. They are sending a new device that will hopefully work.

I also noted the possibility the QOS settings are defective in the current firmware, that may be the possible culprit.

Anyways, at this time I'm currently extremely unsatisfied with Ooma. Hopefully I don't get assaulted by the supposed Ooma Supporter who are loyal customers and attack anyone that criticizes Ooma, and are more than likely paid moderators.
#38818 by daet
Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:05 am
jlflow wrote:Hopefully I don't get assaulted by the supposed Ooma Supporter who are loyal customers and attack anyone that criticizes Ooma, and are more than likely paid moderators.

There is only one step from the sublime to the ridiculous - Napoleon Bonaparte
#38829 by southsound
Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:32 am
jlflow wrote:Anyways, at this time I'm currently extremely unsatisfied with Ooma. Hopefully I don't get assaulted by the supposed Ooma Supporter who are loyal customers and attack anyone that criticizes Ooma, and are more than likely paid moderators.

As one of the top 10 posters to the forum, I think that your statement is a little unfair. I have found very few attacks except in the case where the poster refuses to let us help and only bashes the product or is obviously a troll or an employee of a competing company. Most of us who post often realize that ooma is far from perfect but with the help of each other we have been able to optimize our experience and choose to spend time here doing the same for others.

I know for a fact that ALL of the ooma folks who post here have a clear notice of that under their name - Ooma Moderator. I also know (through these forums) that the other top posters are like myself - just customers. In fact, if you want some fun, do a search on my older posts - here is a link to one of my first: http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=784. Although the problem was fixed through a lot of interaction with support, I even bought the domain name ooma.info so I could post my (at the time) negative experience to the world. Now I use the domain to advertise "refer a friend" codes for other members.

I'm sorry you have had a problem with your system. I hope the replacement fixes things for you. :cool:

Edit: jlflow - I just realized that you were not the original poster so you are not waiting for a replacement. Have you posted your situation details here for us to try to help? Just a suggestion. There are a lot of smart people who frequent the board.
#38833 by Groundhound
Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:22 am
jlflow wrote:Anyways, at this time I'm currently extremely unsatisfied with Ooma. Hopefully I don't get assaulted by the supposed Ooma Supporter who are loyal customers and attack anyone that criticizes Ooma, and are more than likely paid moderators.

There are three support channels available to customers: email, phone support, and these forums. A lot of folks would agree that these forums are the best way to get support for many common problems. Occasionally someone shows up here who is dissatisfied with one of the other channels or may be a competitor posing as a customer, and seeks to disrupt this support channel by repeated rants on multiple threads with no desire to ask for or receive help for their problem. I believe some are truly dissatisfied customers who become invested in their problem and do not actually want a solution - only revenge against Ooma - and see disruption of this support channel as a means of exacting that revenge. Ooma is understandably slow to act against those who are purposely disruptive - no doubt in hopes that their problem can be resolved and they will become satisfied customers - but some folks just can't be or won't be helped, and some of us who count on these forums as a source of information may question the motives of such people. Ooma can be justifiably criticized for a number of reasons, and no one wants to impede the means to state that criticism. If you've got a justifiable complaint and want to state it (and move on), fine. If you want to waste everyone else's time with repetitive diatribes or fake problems (a repeated complaint by one who couldn't get dial tone from a network port comes to mind), then expect to not get a lot of love from those of us with better ways to spend our time.
#38836 by Groundhound
Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:46 am
jlflow wrote:I also adjusted QOS settings, ran another ping test, checked my configuration, checked my cables, note that there are multiple Vonage devices working on our government provided ISP, checked the phone on an actual landline, and noted that my Skype works perfectly fine on this network.

I wonder if Ooma's use of encryption via VPN - something the other VoIP providers you mention do not do - is blocked by your "government provided ISP"?
#59231 by jlflow
Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:52 pm
I apologize for the late response, I've been busy with my job.

The "government provided ISP" is as the name states. I am a Marine who works in hand with the Department of State, and I can assure you that the ISP they provide is reliable, for the most part.

Before attempting to criticize me, I can also assure you I am an authentic customer. I've utilized every means of contacting customer service. Email always resulted in an automated message, this forum seemed to draw more flak than actual advice, and finally calling customer service took me all the way to a gentleman name Roy Calvo who was extremely cooperative and helpful. Prior to talking to him, it seemed like the customer service representatives were doing their best to pinpoint the blame on me. He took my complaints into consideration, and considered my proposed solution which was to replace the faulty device entirely.

Needless to say, the device was apparently the problem after all, deduced from the fact that as soon as I received my replacement device and put in the proper settings all problems that occurred with the quality of service disappeared after that. I'm just at a loss as to why all the other customer service representatives other than Roy, who apparently is high up the food chain, were eager to pinpoint the blame with user error.

Now the only issue I have is with billing. My primary credit card won't register with their system, so I had to resort to using another card. Seeing as this card has had issues in the past with other companies the blame cannot be placed on Ooma Inc. The only other issue I have had was when they canceled my Ooma Premier service a month early. Once again, I had to go through a gauntlet of customer service representatives before getting to Roy, who once again was extremely helpful and gave me the last month I rated.
#59232 by jlflow
Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:56 pm
And please, the idea that someone has a some obsession with maiming Ooma's image on an Ooma forum is pretty ridiculous. And if someone like that exists, God help them.

I love my Ooma device and the concept of it but there are still some kinks in the device itself along with the way the company is run. But you can't really blame them since it's still a relatively new company.