This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#34897 by wafl_scan
Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:34 pm
I've been struggling with echo on my ooma calls since I got it. According to ooma tech support I need my jitter to be between 0.0 - 1.0. I'm at 2.0 - 3.0. Ooma tech support told me I have to contact my ISP and "get them to fix it". Well, not surprisingly, after killing 2.5 hours trying to explain to them what jitter is and getting nowhere I'm back to square one. It's always easier to point at someone else as the problem isn't it? My ISP had me run some tests that were just tracerts, ping tests, and speed tests. Because those all came in good there is nothing else they are able to do for me. They say there is nothing wrong.

I've tried different phones, turning down the volume and searching the forums and FAQ. I've changed my QoS upstream to 75% of my upstream speed (768Kb). So I thought I'd just put a post out to the group and see if anyone had any suggestions for me or maybe I'm missing something. Thanks!
#34905 by oldanbo
Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:12 pm
Have your tried turning down the volume on your handset? If it has a volume control.

It's worth a shot and worked for me. Feedback can cause this issue.

Edited to say: OOps, I should have quoted you. I see now that you have already tried that. My apologies. What is your equipment setup? Telo or hub, etc.
#35171 by nancycmcdonald
Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:27 am
What is jitter? I get wifi off a fire tower on a mountain six miles away and run it through a wireless router. I have pretty bad echoing and delay. Pretty annoying. I attribute it to the varying speed of my wifi connection but will try the handset volume approach. The manager of the entire wifi system purchased the ooma Telo a few days after I did, so he is aware of any potential issues.
#35173 by hpepper
Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:02 am
wafl_scan wrote:I've tried different phones, turning down the volume and searching the forums and FAQ. I've changed my QoS upstream to 75% of my upstream speed (768Kb). So I thought I'd just put a post out to the group and see if anyone had any suggestions for me or maybe I'm missing something. Thanks!

Just for the heck of it (It's easy to change and change back) try some really big QOS numbers and see what you get. I had some echo problems at one point and put in even a larger upstream and downstream QOS numbers than what I had available... like triple. During a call my Internet still worked fine.
#36736 by wildbull5
Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:14 am
I have same "echo" problem on Ooma phones during conversation. I put a DSL phone line filter that I have from AT&T then the echo gone. Try it!!!
#36939 by deltapirate
Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:25 pm
wildbull5 wrote:I have same "echo" problem on Ooma phones during conversation. I put a DSL phone line filter that I have from AT&T then the echo gone. Try it!!!

Where do you put the line filter? On each phone?
#37240 by bebop
Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:19 pm
Using speaker phone with the Telo handset is impossible because of the lack of echo cancellation.
It sometimes also occurs with the Panasonic handset on speakerphone, but not always, and I haven't tried the base station yet. The Telo handset and Panasonic handset have not shown this problem.
#37324 by cuyeda
Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:19 am
I have the same problem with jitter/echo, and turning to this forum for a few answers leaves me wondering if OOMA will work for me. It's hard to believe that out of all the units sold so far there are very few answers to some of these problems mentioned in other posts. I experience both busy signals, and an electronica type sounds for lack of better descriptions.

Could it have something to do with the quality of DSL, or is it that our DSL line is shared with the land line (voice phone) using a DSL filter with a line splitter. Are the interference noises coming from a noisy land line twisted pair sharing the same line as the DSL? FYI I don't have the wall phone connected to the OOMA Telo.

Can this be solved or explained? Do I need to take this unit back, because it sure it not satisfactory this way.
#37357 by Groundhound
Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:42 am
cuyeda wrote:I have the same problem with jitter/echo, and turning to this forum for a few answers leaves me wondering if OOMA will work for me. It's hard to believe that out of all the units sold so far there are very few answers to some of these problems mentioned in other posts. I experience both busy signals, and an electronica type sounds for lack of better descriptions.

Could it have something to do with the quality of DSL, or is it that our DSL line is shared with the land line (voice phone) using a DSL filter with a line splitter. Are the interference noises coming from a noisy land line twisted pair sharing the same line as the DSL? FYI I don't have the wall phone connected to the OOMA Telo.

Can this be solved or explained? Do I need to take this unit back, because it sure it not satisfactory this way.

For anyone here to help you will need to provide more info. How is your Telo connected to your router & modem? Are you using any QoS settings? Do you have your phone connected directly to the Telo's phone port or are you connecting it somewhere else in your home on the same wire pair as your DSL? Can you run the test at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and post the results from the Advanced tab?