This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#34024 by slkayser
Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:45 am
After see many great reviews and going through this forum, I took the plunge. Installation was not difficult and it was up and running shortly. Integrated 2Wire DSL -> Hub -> corded phone and the scout hooked uo to a cordless phone base unit.

The first day, I got echoes which seem to have gone away (no idea why) but have retained a "staticy" liney. Not horrible but certainly not living up to my expectations. I have looked at jitter, and speeds, etc all appear ok but the phone company agreed to come out and look at the house dsl/modem given a lot of variation in upload speed. 200 to 500. also I have seen some occasional poor jitter specs but its normally very good. Both the scout and core exhibit the same noise.

After checking ideas here I have
1) Enable high-bandwidth codec - no perceived benefit - may try it again though
2) tried installing filters - no benefit
3) traded the corded phone and the cordless -no benefit
4) unplugged the scout - no benefit
5) changed some cables (noise source/bad cable) - no benefit
6) called OOMA: "must be the dsl...."
7) DSL: "must be the OOMA; maybe the router"

I am running out of ideas.....

Steve

I have turned
#34025 by glenroebuck
Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:05 am
what type of dsl do you have? what speeds? I am running ooma hub on att dsl 6Mbs down/768Kps up and it's been great. Seems as good if not better than the voice quality I was getting from vonage.

One thing you can check outside of Ooma is hook up your pc to your dsl directly - so dsl modem/router to pc

On your pc go to www.speetest.net (I think that is the url if not google search on speetest).

This website will let you test the up/down speeds from various locations in respect to your isp location. I get consistent speeds with att but when I was on time warner and they were claiming I was getting 15 Mbs I was really getting 2-3.

Anyway - depending on your bandwidth (your up/down speeds and the actual speeds your getting) that could be the issue. If you don't have enough bandwidth and your doing other things while on the phone (downloading things, or someone else is using playing an online game or something....).
#34458 by slkayser
Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:18 pm
happy to report, it's now working great. Phone company said all was fine. I bought new phones dect6? from vtech. once I turned down the volume (had an echo with it turned up) everything works fine.