This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#33838 by MikeekiM
Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:41 am
Hi all...

So what is the general concensus on the voice codec option?

Does choosing the higher bandwidth G711 codec over the low bandwidth iLBP make any difference in voice quality?

I have a high bandwidth connection, so reserving the higher amount of bandwidth is not a concern for me...

Perception wise, voices sound a little louder and have a little more dynamic range... I have a friend with Ooma and we talked for about an hour using the iLBP codec...and then almost immediately spoke for another hour on the G711 codec, and we *think* we noticed an improvement...

But hey...could just be perception... :)

Thanks!
#33842 by hpepper
Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:55 am
I have been using the G711 codec for a week - It sounds just a bit better to me as well. Need to switch back to make sure it isn't the latest release or by some chance just a matter of coincidence with traffic on my ISP. I suspect the codec makes a difference.
#33845 by dsegel
Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:16 pm
When my wife calls me at work from the home Ooma system it absolutely sounds more clear with whatever codec is used when the "FAX" option is selected. The regular codec always sounds highly compressed and slightly noisy.
#33846 by MikeekiM
Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:19 pm
dsegel wrote:When my wife calls me at work from the home Ooma system it absolutely sounds more clear with whatever codec is used when the "FAX" option is selected. The regular codec always sounds highly compressed and slightly noisy.

Yup... Fax Mode = G711 Codec
#33911 by hpepper
Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:43 am
bryanlyle wrote:Does the "Fax" setting only affect Telo users or does it also work with the older Hub/Scout setups?

There is a checkbox called "Enable high-bandwidth codec" in the older Hub/Scout System Preferences page, so yes, it is available for the older hub owners.
#33920 by StevenJohn
Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:26 am
I have the higher bandwidth check box ticked. My daughter, which has AT&T landline, says that before I changed the codec, my phone would mute out when I was silent and it does not do that with this new codec. I have noticed several times that when I was silent the caller would say "are you there?" Now my daughter says she can hear little background noises and that my phone never mutes out completely when I'm not speaking.

sj
#34051 by tivoboy
Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:22 am
hpepper wrote:
bryanlyle wrote:Does the "Fax" setting only affect Telo users or does it also work with the older Hub/Scout setups?

There is a checkbox called "Enable high-bandwidth codec" in the older Hub/Scout System Preferences page, so yes, it is available for the older hub owners.

Hmm, I never found this setting. Is it on the status page?