This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#33606 by hysonmb
Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:31 am
I'm a recent convert to Ooma from Vonage and have to say that over the past month and a half I've been happy with the service as a whole. I do, however, have an issue. I periodically have calls drop and do not know why. I don't loose my internet connection, don't have any spikes in network traffic, and haven't seen any errors reported on my router at the times of the drops. Just yesterday, I was talking to my wife and I could hear her (she was on the Ooma) but she couldn't hear me.

Configuration wise, I have my Telo behind my router (Belkin N1 Vision). I've noticed a couple of times over the past week that it will start flashing as it did when I first set it up and I assume that it's getting updates but don't know.

Is there a problem with the Telo dropping calls? Is there a list of ports that I can forward to the Ooma from my router? Are there notifications sent when there are updates being done?

Thanks in advance.
#33613 by Groundhound
Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:26 am
If your router has a DMZ setting available, try putting the IP address it assigns to Ooma there. This address should also be set as non-variable or static so Ooma always has that address.
#33875 by hysonmb
Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:01 pm
I put the Ooma in my DMZ and all seems fine right now, but, we'll have to see what happens when we have another long call. Thanks for the advice.
#36194 by cr17
Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:10 am
im having the same problem. I have cable broadband with ooma connected directly to modem then to router, im not what you would call a computer guy so I need a fix for dummies
#36197 by Groundhound
Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:03 am
cr17 wrote:im having the same problem. I have cable broadband with ooma connected directly to modem then to router, im not what you would call a computer guy so I need a fix for dummies

You didn't provide much info to base a recommendation on, so about the only thing I can suggest at this point is to go to http://setup.ooma.com/ and then to the Network page and change "MODEM Port MAC Address" to "Use Built in" and click Update. You should then reboot everything in sequence beginning with your modem, then Ooma, then router.
#41949 by oompah
Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:08 pm
I'm having the same problem, plus others. New Telo since late Dec., occasionally drops calls with no warning. Sometimes I can dial right out again, other times the device is hung/rebooting for ~20 min. Also occasional incoming voice breaking up for 5-10 sec. at a time. We also frequently have a noticeable voice lag. Ooma set up right behind the FIOS modem/router, all traffic goes through it, QOS is set for our bandwidth (2M/10M). VOIP quality tests are fine, speed testing is fine. No heavy uploading or downloading going on. I have emailed support twice, no response at all. I have a few more days to send it back to Amazon and it is about to go. Have had Net2phone for a couple of years with no such problems.

Any suggestions before I kiss the ooma goodbye?
#41973 by murphy
Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:49 am
With those speeds try setting QOS in the Ooma to 0 for both entries and see how it goes. (0 disables QOS)