This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#33627 by qwerty246
Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:54 am
Thanks. Will rerun test after work and post results. One last question. When I change upstream QoS to 0 is it immediate? If not, how long before the setting takes effect?
#33683 by qwerty246
Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:21 pm
Groundhound, I ran the original test with upstream speed set at 123 kbps. Next, I repeated the test per your suggestion with upstream speed set at 0 kbps. See results below. Frankly, I'm confused because I see little difference between the original data I posted this AM and the data below except that upload QoS went from 3% to 99%. :?:

VoIP test statistics -----> upstream speed=123 kbps
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 2.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5376136 bps
Upload speed: 107880 bps
Download quality of service: 95 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %

Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 46 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 70 ms
Average round trip time to server: 77 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 15200000bps
Route concurrency: 2.8273094
Download TCP forced idle: 55 %
Maximum route speed: 7489712bps

Below is data with upstream speed = 0 kbps
QoS still very good but note upload speed went from 107 kbps to 962 kbps. What's going on there?? Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

VoIP test statistics -----> Upstream speed=0 kbps
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5401320 bps
Upload speed: 962192 bps
Download quality of service: 97 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %

Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 41 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 68 ms
Average round trip time to server: 69 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 15200000bps
Route concurrency: 2.814127
Download TCP forced idle: 50 %
Maximum route speed: 7710000bps
Last edited by qwerty246 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#33684 by qwerty246
Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:25 pm
With upstream speed = 123 msec the results were upload speed of 123 kbps.

With upstream speed = 0 msec the results were upload speed of 962 kbps.

What is the correct upstream speed setting??
#33703 by Groundhound
Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:51 pm
qwerty246 wrote:What is the correct upstream speed setting??

What is the sustained (no temporary powerboost) upload rate claimed by your ISP? As a start try 80% of that rate. If for example they claim 1 Mbps upload, then try 0.8 Mbps (800 Kbps) as the upstream QoS setting. Do some test calls and see if that helps or not.
Your test results look good, BTW. Don't worry what the test statistics results are when upstream QoS is set to anything other than 0. For the time being the whichvoip.net test results are distorted by Ooma's upstream QoS settings. It just means that the upstream QoS is working when no call is going on and my guess is that it is a temporary issue.
#33778 by qwerty246
Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:52 am
Bloodhound and ajw522, thank you for your assistance. I have upstream set at 75% sustained upload rate rather than 80%...it's Mediacom, after all. ;) Further testing should fine tune the number. Will be looking for the latest software upgrade as this has a big impact on Carbonite.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests