This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#33604 by qwerty246
Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:16 am
I'm a newbie to Ooma (second day) and the forum. I am experiencing ~1 second delay (worst case) but it varies. The worst case is noticeable and interferes with normal conversation. The delay with the Telo handset seems slightly less than that of the cordless phone but the difference, if any, is slight.

Is this delay normal? Are there steps I can take to reduce the delay?

ISP - Mediacom (cable)
Setup - modem (Westell) then Telo then computer. Hardware is co-located.
NOTE: I do not have a router. Do I 'need' a router for proper functionality? If so, could someone make a recommendation as to a good router?

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5355472 bps
Upload speed: 123608 bps (I have 123 bps entered in the Telo QoS on the setup site.)
Download quality of service: 97 %
Upload quality of service: 3 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 44 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 66 ms
Average round trip time to server: 69 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 13600000bps
Route concurrency: 2.5394588
Download TCP forced idle: 44 %
Maximum route speed: 7943632bps
#33612 by Groundhound
Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:18 am
Have you tried the default upstream QoS setting of 384? What is the sustained upload speed (no temporary boost) for your ISP? You should try setting upstream QoS at about 80% of that sustained speed. This all assumes that you have your Telo connected directly to your cable modem.
#33615 by qwerty246
Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:30 am
Thank you for your response. Telo is connected directly to cable modem.

Yes, I tried the default 384 but the delay was apparent with that setting as well. I read in other posts that cell phones seem to be a repeated culprit for the delay I'm experiencing. Didn't notice this before but I will need to do some testing to see if my situation is similar.

Isn't 123 kbps my sustained upload speed? If not, how do I determine sustained speed? Also, it seems like there is a BIG disparity between download and upload speed (5.35 Mbps vs 123 kbps). Is this normal?
#33616 by murphy
Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:31 am
Upload quality of service: 3 %

That is an extremely bad number.
#33619 by Groundhound
Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:33 am
murphy wrote:Upload quality of service: 3 %

That is an extremely bad number.

True, but if he disables upstream QoS temporarily and runs the test again it will likely show improvement, that's what I observe recently with my Telo.
#33624 by Groundhound
Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:48 am
It just means that the test is being adversely affected by the QoS setting. If your result is good then your connection is probably good. If the upload quality still tests bad then you can look for what the cause is for that. Assuming you get a good test result then I would try the 80% setting as I described above.