This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#33005 by FrequentFlyer
Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:47 am
OK, I may have a weird one for you all, and could use some help. One or two of you may recall that when I got the ooma system, a local number wasn't available. (zip 68845; AC 308.) So I chose one from a town 45 minutes away. (Porting my old landline number wasn't available either.)

Everything works reasonably well. EXCEPT: local friends who call us on their landlines must dial 1-308-our ooma number (essentially a long distance call.) That's not the problem. My wife's friends do this (my friends all use cell phones and call my cell) and a couple of people have trouble connecting with us about 90% of the time. My wife can hear them, they can't hear her. Or, just can't make a connection at all. Yet our son in DC or our other son in NY will call on his cell, and the connection is strong and voice quality perfectly ok.

We are using a older V Tech 2.4 GHz cordless phone set.

I ran the test that's recommended on the forum, and here are my results:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 8161624 bps
Upload speed: 2147840 bps
Download quality of service: 95 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 51 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 63 ms
Average round trip time to server: 64 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24000000bps
Route concurrency: 2.9405913
Download TCP forced idle: 67 %
Maximum route speed: 8321904bps

The only other thing I'll mention: if I have A LOT of tabs open in my browser, the Quality of Service drops dramatically... down to the 60% range.

My internet service is through Carter (cable modem) and I allegedly have the 10MB service.

WOOT has a DECT 6.0 V Tech phone on their site today and I'm thinking about getting it, but don't know if that'd just be a waste of money.

I'd really appreciate some help. Mrs. Flyer is not entirely happy with ooma... and I'd like to reduce her level of angst if at all possible. Thanks. ;)
#33007 by murphy
Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:12 am
The numbers look good. It is normal for the test to look bad if there is other stuff running in the background. The test is only valid if nothing else is using the internet when you run the test.

Do you have a corded phone that you could try in place of the cordless? Disconnect and turn off the cordless phone. That includes removing all of the batteries. I don't see a mention of whether or not you have a wireless router but if you do the cordless phone at 2.4 Ghz and a wireless router at 2.4 Ghz are using the same frequencies and can interfere with each other.
The corded phone is the best test to determine if you have wireless interference problems.
#33107 by FrequentFlyer
Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:31 pm
We do have a wireless router and it is 2.4GHz. I'll have to try the corded phone. Of course with other calls, call quality is fine. How would it be an issue with just local landline calls?
#33119 by tommies
Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:11 pm
Well, it comes to my attention lately that those wireless mouse and/or keyboard also on the 2.4MHz. Eventhough their range is short, it does pose a problem for the wireless router and 2.4MHz cordless phone as well.
#33229 by FrequentFlyer
Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:10 pm
murphy wrote:The numbers look good. It is normal for the test to look bad if there is other stuff running in the background. The test is only valid if nothing else is using the internet when you run the test.

Do you have a corded phone that you could try in place of the cordless? Disconnect and turn off the cordless phone. That includes removing all of the batteries. I don't see a mention of whether or not you have a wireless router but if you do the cordless phone at 2.4 Ghz and a wireless router at 2.4 Ghz are using the same frequencies and can interfere with each other.
The corded phone is the best test to determine if you have wireless interference problems.

I did as you suggested - including using a cheap corded phone - then called my wife's friend who's had the most difficulty. We connected just fine, and the quality of the call was fine. Mrs. Flyer called her a bit later and had the same experience. Hmm... why would this be a problem with local calls only??

In any event, I'm going to buy a VTech DECT 6.0 phone from Amazon - I'll have it on Monday - and see if that fixes the issue. Very, very weird, at least to this non-technical guy.

This may dramatically change my wife's opinion of ooma!!

Thanks for your help. If anyone else wants to chime in, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

P.S. - Oh, I forgot - as mentioned above, my wireless router does operate at 2.4GHz, and so does the old VTech phone.