This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#32942 by Vayu
Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:12 pm
Hi,

I've ooma since last 8 months. I have no trouble until last 2 weeks. I've 16 Mbps comcast cable internet. I usually don't use internet for heavy use. Mostly I connect to office over VPN and send some emails or connect to unix/linux servers.

So, most of the time ooma has a really good bandwidth available.

Since last 2 weeks, I'm unable to hear other person on the call properly, though, they are able to hear me very clearly. First I thought it is other person's problem. But, I noticed in one of the office webex meetings, I was the only one who was facing hard time to hear others (very choppy voice - sometime hard to understand). Then I tried multiple options, checked my speed and available bandwidth. Restarted ooma, cable modem, my Netgear N router. But, it remains really choppy every time.

Not sure, what went wrong in last 2 weeks, but, some how it is not working any more for me.

Is there any problem on ooma servers? or any tip to fix this issue?

thanks,
#32945 by Ooh Ma Ma
Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:35 pm
I've been having this exact same issue the last couple of weeks. Only difference is mine is intermittent. It's to the point where before I make a phone call, I test my outbound quality by calling my cell phone and leave a message for myself to see what the quality is at that moment. My upload speed when I run a speedtest.net test is typically .94 Mbps, and my download is about 12 Mbps.
#32975 by Vayu
Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:22 pm
I've upload-speed most of the time 5 Mbps or more. And nobody complaints that they can not hear me properly. My download speed is 10 Mbps most of the time and still I get very choppy voice.

I've following setup:

Comcast Cable (internet speed -16 mbps)-> Netgear QoS enabled router (16 mbps) (internet speed -16 mbps)-> powerline plug 1 (source) (internet speed -16 mbps)-> powerline plug 2 (receiver)(internet speed -10 mbps)-> ooma hub(internet speed -10 mbps) -> computer (internet speed -8 mbps)

When ever I get choppy voice, I check my download and upload speed from the computer, which is after ooma hub. Every time it comes more than 5 Mbps (download) and at least 3mbps (upload).

This setup was working fine since last 8 months. not sure what is wrong now.
#32991 by Vayu
Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:17 pm
I just had another WebEx meeting with my team and the I faced the same issue again. Every one able to hear me and each other but, I was getting a choppy conversation. Finally I gave up and continued on my cell phone. Well! I ran same tests again and I had download speed 6.5 Mbps and Upload speed 4.2 Mbps on my computer which is connected to internet through ooma.
#33013 by Groundhound
Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:41 am
Speed is not the most important metric when it comes to connection quality for VoIP service. On a computer connected via Ethernet cable to your network, with no call in progress and no other Internet traffic, run the test here: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html, and post the results on the Advanced tab when the test is complete.
#33016 by Vayu
Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:24 am
Thanks Ground hound for the response. Here is the result:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: -- ms
Jitter: server --> you: -- ms
Packet loss: you --> server: -- %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 100.0 %
Estimated MOS score: --

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4483424 bps
Upload speed: 1085232 bps
Download quality of service: 39 %
Upload quality of service: 55 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 245 ms
Average download pause: 6 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 42 ms
Average round trip time to server: 48 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 6400000bps
Route concurrency: 1.4274805
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 12482856bps

Thanks,
#33018 by Groundhound
Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:48 am
Vayu wrote:Thanks Ground hound for the response. Here is the result:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: -- ms No data
Jitter: server --> you: -- ms No data
Packet loss: you --> server: -- % No data
Packets out of order: 100.0 % Bad result
Estimated MOS score: -- No data

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4483424 bps
Upload speed: 1085232 bps
Download quality of service: 39 % Bad result
Upload quality of service: 55 % Bad result
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 245 ms Bad result
Average download pause: 6 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 42 ms
Average round trip time to server: 48 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 6400000bps
Route concurrency: 1.4274805
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 12482856bps

Thanks,

The "bad result" notations above point to details of your connection quality that are likely causing the problems you are having. Have there been any recent changes to your physical connection to your cable service or in the service itself?
#33027 by Vayu
Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:08 am
Thanks Groundhound for detailed information. It is eye-opening for me. As per my knowledge, nothing changed since day one in my network. I did not reset my router or anything. Some times I powered-off my devices (router, ooma, powerline plugs etc..), But, I guess it should not change any settings.

So, now the question is, how to improve the performance? I have a QoS netgeat router + power plugs (source + receiver) between ooma and Cable modem. So, I guess I need to do check QoS settings at router level. If yes! what settings I'd check or do... here is a snippet of my settings:

at router level:

==================================================================================
QoS Setup

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multi-media) Settings (Yes)

Turn Internet Access QoS On (Yes)

Turn Bandwidth Control On (No)
Uplink bandwidth: 10 mbps Maximum
Check for current Internet Uplink bandwidth
==================================================================================

QoS Priority Rule List

# QoS Policy Priority Description
1 Yahoo Messenger Normal Yahoo Messenger application
2 ooma IP Phone Highest MAC xx:xxx:xx:xx(hidden for security)
3 Google Talk Normal Google Talk application
4 Netgear EVA Low Netgear EVA application

ooma setup:

Quality Of Service (?)
Upstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 0 (0 to disable)
Downstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 0 (0 to disable)
Reserved Bandwidth for Calls (Kbps): 130

Any tip is really appreciated.

Thanks
#33031 by Groundhound
Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:25 am
QoS only prioritizes traffic on your network, it cannot turn a poor Internet connection into a good one. To find the problem start by eliminating variables in your home network. For testing purposes connect a computer (with software firewall on) directly to your modem with no other routers, computers or Ooma connected, and run the test again. You will probably need to power cycle your cable modem so it will recognize your computer. Before you start the test make sure no other Internet active processes other than your browser are running - no message services, email, torrents, etc. Post the results again.
#33033 by Vayu
Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:31 am
Previous result was not the right one as during that time I was connected to my office through VPN. I ran test again using this setup:

Cable Modem -> Router -> power plug source -> power plug receiver -> ooma core -> computer

ran the test and here is the result:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 6.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------