This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#32888 by kurtrode
Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:27 am
I want to put the Ooma hub behind the router. Right now I have a USRobotics 8054 and call quality is terrible, if hub is behind router, but acceptable before the router. What router would be good for a replacement? So that I may have the hub behind the router.
#32906 by kurtrode
Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:30 am
Because of where I want to place the hub it would work better behind the router. So I want a router that will do QOS for me. Would an older router flashed with tomato, or one of the newer routers with built in QOS work better?
#32917 by Aveamantium
Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 am
kurtrode wrote:Because of where I want to place the hub it would work better behind the router. So I want a router that will do QOS for me. Would an older router flashed with tomato, or one of the newer routers with built in QOS work better?

I have a WRT54GL (note the L) router running Tomato and the Qos is great! The only limitation I see with this Qos is you have to set the upload (and download if using Qos in this direction) speeds in order for it to work correctly. This is not a problem if you have a constant bandwidth from your ISP. However, if your speeds vary by much then you should set the speed limits to your lower end of average potentially losing the extra bandwidth you'd see when extra bandwidth is available.
#33161 by kurtrode
Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:29 am
Since I have to spend the money either way, what is the thought on the WRT320n? Will that do a good job on QOS?
#33170 by allo
Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:45 am
kurtrode wrote:Since I have to spend the money either way, what is the thought on the WRT320n? Will that do a good job on QOS?

Only GL router (l = Linux) can use Tomato in the Linksys brand, I believe... Plus they usually have twice the memory of non-linux capable!
and you can set QoS in a Tomato Router environment!
WRT54GL is supposed to be the best there is ... you don't know what you may get into by using WRT320n!
The 320n reviews are not that encouraging either:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... pk=WRT320n