This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#30925 by leinerd
Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:06 am
I've been trying to place the hub between my router and modem so I can take advantage of the good QoS features of the hub. Since I run various servers in the house, I placed my router address in the Ooma DMZ so it would pass all incoming traffic to the router. Then the router would do the port forwarding as it always has.

However, the hub does not seem to pass any incoming ports to the router. Normal internet traffic that originates in the house works fine though. I've also tried to forward individual ports through the hub but that doesn't work either.

I've reported this problem to customer support with no solution so far. Anyone else experiencing this?

BTW, as a fallback I'm using the QoS features on my linksys router with DD-WRT firmware installed and the hub on the other side of the router. Unfortunately though, I seem to have to permanently reduce the max bandwidth through the router to make this work. Am I missing something?
#30951 by leinerd
Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:12 pm
Thanks for the reply, Groundhound.

Well, I was using a static IP address for my router but, upon your suggestion, I changed it to a single DHCP address. Made no difference.

I confirmed that the router is being assigned a WAN address that is the same as the one I entered as the Ooma DMZ. I also confirmed that the hub is capturing all http traffic on any of the ports I use since I get an Ooma error that the page can't be found whenever I specify a particular page. However, if I just specify my external address with nothing after the slash, the hub returns the Ooma setup page.

The only non-http pages I use are my SlingPlayer and Rovio, and they just time out from the outside, which is what you would expect if the hub is blocking the traffic.

Have you or anyone else gotten the DMZ or port forwarding functions working to get into your network from the outside?

--Dave
#30955 by Groundhound
Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:27 pm
I think most folks who are running servers end up putting Ooma behind their router, I know that you give up the conditional QoS that Ooma offers but a router like a Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato firmware offers more capability, and if you have a stable Internet connection you can set the priorities pretty close between "Highest" and "High" since the bandwidth demands of Ooma are low.
#30958 by leinerd
Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:43 pm
You're probably right, especially since the Ooma port forwarding functions don't seem to work at all. Since the QoS function on the DD-WRT firmware seem to require me to give up a good chunk of my limited uplink bandwidth, I'll look into the Tomato firmware to see if it will run on my Linksys WRT160N. Maybe Ooma will fix it eventually though. Thanks again.

--Dave
#31137 by cmelvin10
Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:34 am
I have a web cam and a web server that require port forwarding. All the threads I have read seem to come to the same conclusion, we are doing every thing right, ooma port forwarding just does not function correctly. Hell it doesn't function at all! It's as if the mfg. just forgot to turn it on.

I have written ooma tech support and they either don't understand the problem or don't know the answer. I've totally given up on them.

If we could get to the mfg. They might have a fix. Any idea who makes this piece of junk for ooma?

My next step is to contact Comcast and ask if they can increase my upload speed and move ooma behind my router and use the Linksys QOS. Even if they were able to do so I still don't know if it will improve my dropped calls problem.

I can always tuck my tail and crawl back to Vonage. Maybe time to re-visit Skype.
#31139 by leinerd
Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:42 am
Really not that big a deal being behind the router. That also removes the hub as a potential for bringing down your internet completely if it has a problem.

In any event, I have an open ticket about the DMZ and forwarding issue and will let you guys know if I hear anything.

--Dave
#31747 by TechNoid665
Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:28 am
When I first received my Ooma Hub a few days ago I tried forwarding ports too, and like the rest of you, I could not get it to work either. I did not try assigning the router's IPA to the DMZ though. For me, better practice has been to put the Ooma Hub behind the router. Losing QOS has not impacted functionality so far. But I do have a good internet connection at 6000kbps down and 2700kbps up.
#31753 by dknyinva
Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:43 am
I have a secure web portal and a media server that I can access from the outside and no issue at all. My setup is as followed:

Modem --> Telo --> Linux router

My linux router does all the port forwarding.
#31773 by Groundhound
Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:33 am
dknyinva wrote:I have a secure web portal and a media server that I can access from the outside and no issue at all. My setup is as followed:

Modem --> Telo --> Linux router

My linux router does all the port forwarding.

I currently have a Telo in front of my router and a Hub behind my router. I've played just a little with port forwarding & DMZ on the Telo and I think (just a guess at this point) that the Telo may be a bit more robust in this regard than the Hub.