This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#33102 by stangale@pacbell.net
Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:50 pm
A big thanks to LetterK. Due to his advice to PM Moderator Dennis, he did manage to get "Engineering" to finally investigate the dead line (No ring for caller) and fix it.
Unfortunately I wasn't informed exactly why this situation existed, but at least now it's gone! :D
(When someone calls in while we're on the phone -second line - they hear a ring now.)

Any other Telo users who have to keep rebooting because suddenly your wife says "There's no phone again!!"
How about dropped calls - where in the middle of a conversation suddenly you hear the OOMA dial tone - and the party your talking to is gone.
#33129 by Wiz_Bang
Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:05 pm
Take a look at my thread.

I feel your pain brother believe me :!: :!: :!:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4543

It seems Ooma has released a product in my opinion that was not ready for release to the general public. Numerous bugs and issues with stability. Unless Ooma likes losing customers left and right they better get their act together quickly or this business will go down the tubes fast. The forums are plastered with the same problems reported and no solutions.

23 Days left for them to correct my issues reported, otherwise one more customer lost and growing.
#33160 by Bill D
Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:26 pm
LetterK wrote:I'm planning on testing the new scout today and following up over the next few days with a new surge protector that claims to have line filtering for the power and in necessary, the phone connection.

LetterK,

I'm eager to find out if your replacement Scout has better call quality, but my guess is that it will be the same as both your previous Scouts.

I've never received any of the "escalated" calls back from Ooma support as promised, but after further tests and reading the experiences of others, I believe the Scout (or Hub's HPNA implementation) has inherent design flaws.

In addition to the unreliable Scout call quality, I saw that the VMWI (voice mail message waiting indicator) signals sent from my Scout are occasionally shortened thus failing to reliably turn on or off any VMWI lights on phones connected to my Scout.

Both the VMWI "on" and "off" FSK signals should be 460 ms long, but occasionally (only from the Scout) I saw these signals shortened to 445 ms, which corresponded to my phone's VMWI lights not turning on or turn off as required.

The Hub always sends the correct VMWI signal length and always accurately controls the VMWI lights of phones connected to the Hub.

I'm inclined to keep Ooma but not plug anything into the "Phone" port on the Scout. The Scout is still useful as a second device for checking voice mail. Without Premier, Ooma is still a good value even without connecting any phones to the Scout but the Premier features (like the second phone number) need the Scout. Since my retailer return date is approaching, I've decided to keep it but hold off from buying Premier until I see solutions to the Scout call quality and VMWI problems.

Other than these two inherent Scout problems and very bad customer support, I'm impressed with Ooma at this point and understand why the VCs continue to invest in them. With the VC money, I believe they've got time to get things right and succeed.

Bill
#33479 by LetterK
Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:16 am
stangale@pacbell.net -

Glad to hear that your situation is improving. Glad the advice helped. It seems that for any real support PM'ing the moderator seems the only way to penetrate through the first level of support. The promises for follow-up calls from tech support don't ever materialize.

This is the #1 reason I won't pay for additional Premier services. I've been burned before (SunRocket) and I don't want to invest any more until I know if it is the beginning of the end or growing pains.

Bill -

The new scout does the same thing. I just ended up hooking the phone port on the hub to my house wiring and powering the rest of the house with the hub. The splitter they provide you will be handy for hooking up my living room phone and the scout as a voicemail device. I'm tempted to split line 1 and 2 and send the scout traffic down line 2 and see if there is a difference.

I still need to hook up my power supply with filtering and see if it makes a difference. I got a APC C5 power supply from Ebay Daily Deals and I'm curious if the filtering would make a difference.

I'll post more when I know more. I'm off to call my tech support contact.
#33595 by Bill D
Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:02 pm
LetterK wrote:The new scout does the same thing...I'm tempted to split line 1 and 2 and send the scout traffic down line 2 and see if there is a difference...I still need to hook up my power supply with filtering and see if it makes a difference.

LetterK,

Your persistence is highly commendable. I've also tried isolating my Scout several different ways and finally concluded that the Scout (or Hub's HPNA implementation) has inherent design flaws.

If you get to the bottom of this problem, my hat's off to you. From reading around this forum, everyone else that tried has thrown in the towel and it also appears that Ooma tech support does not "fess up" to inferior Scout call quality.

Please keep me posted on your efforts and I'll also let you know if I get any other ideas.

Bill
#34527 by LetterK
Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:47 am
Bill -

I haven't had the chance to see if the power filtering makes a difference. I'm pretty much think about throwing in the towel too. I did hear back from the tech and he suggested several things. Basically, record the calls and send them to him. A few of his suggestions were replaced the phone cord (already did that ), use difference handsets (already did, wired and cordless).

His final solution after I confirmed everything he asked was that they could check the routing. My response was is there a reason that the routing would be any different for the scout than the hub. I also mentioned that it seems like a common problem from the boards and haven't they successfully solved it for a single individual yet. Haven't heard back from him yet, the email I have is a general email address and it usually take 3-4 days to get a reply.

The only reason why I persist now is that I don't think a company should get away with providing substandard service. I've chased down many upper level company people to get them to make good on their promises. Often, they finally solve the problem so that you go away.
#34868 by Bill D
Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:54 am
LetterK wrote:...I did hear back from the tech and he suggested several things. Basically, record the calls and send them to him.

LetterK,

With different phone #s on Hub and Scout, you can record test VMs by calling Hub-to-Scout and calling Scout-to-Hub. You can't call the # you're dialing from, so this test needs diff #s assigned to Hub and Scout, which needs Premier, which also lets you download and save the MP3 VM files. To eliminate variables, use the same phone and wire on Hub and Scout.

I've just done this and the difference is evident. Monotone sounds are worse, like "EEEEEEEEE". I also tried *99 for the G711 codec, which improved quality both ways, but the Scout calls still had scratchy static.

Ooma's literature says not to fax on the Scout which leads me to believe that all Scouts may have something like an analog hardware bug. The senior tech that called me back responded like yours did and offered to ship me a new Scout, but said there's no design/revision differences.

The only reason I persist is that the Hub works so damn good. But unfortunately it looks like the Scout is a turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Bill