This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#1596 by joeandtricia
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:18 pm
Hi all,
New to ooma - and really looking forward to having no phone bill!

I took some of the "no phone bill" savings and put that into improved cable (powerboost or some such name from comcast).

What are the recommended settings for QOS ?

I've read to subtract 100 to 200 from the upload speed.
In my case: download is 25000 kb/s and upload is 3150 kb/s.

Is there an optimal number to set that takes advantage of the upload speed?
#1622 by Mojo
Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:51 am
With a measured upload of ~3100 Kbps, you'd probably be safe setting the upstream QoS to 2900 or 3000 Kbps. There's no harm in setting it lower (to say 1500 Kbps).

Basically, whenever you're on a call (e.g. you've turned your phone on), the QoS will kick in and throttle your upstream connection to whatever value you set and prioritize ooma voice over other data going through the Hub.
#2060 by aks
Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:35 pm
What is QOS? How do you tweak it? I have upgraded my DSL to 6 Mbps, would like somehow reserve 1.5 for ooma. Hope that will improve call quality.
#2369 by sonpit
Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:00 am
Is this a true statement?

Example, If your upload speed is 500 kbps and you set your QOS higher or equal to your upload speed (500 kbps), you will not have any upload speed left to even send a simple email while you are on your ooma phone.
#2415 by Bobby B
Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:19 pm
Hi sonpit, not really true -- if you set your QoS upstream speed to be greater than your true upload speed, the QoS just won't work really well, but you'll still be able to send your email OK (but perhaps at a slower rate).

I just wrote up this article with some sample scenarios. Check out scenario 3 for an example of the case you're asking about.

Article Link

-Bobby

Update: added PDF version...

sonpit wrote:Is this a true statement?

Example, If your upload speed is 500 kbps and you set your QOS higher or equal to your upload speed (500 kbps), you will not have any upload speed left to even send a simple email while you are on your ooma phone.
Attachments
(447.78 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
#2425 by vbvamsi
Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:32 am
Hi Bobby - I looked at the QoS setting scenarios. I have configured my QoS to 700 as my upstream bandwidth is around 1000 according to the speed test.

I have done speed test on my computer a number of times and 9 out of 10 times it shows me around 1000 as my upstream bandwidth. But there are cases when I see only 200 or 300 as my upstream bandwidth.

I have a cable connection which I think is shared bandwidth and I don't have the whole bandwidth available at all times. Does this variation effect the voice quality in any way?

When I first setup ooma I had few dropped calls for couple of days, after that I didnt have any dropped calls for more than a week now. But I see issues where other people cant hear me some times. In my case, what do you think is the right number I have to put in my QoS settings.
#2433 by Mojo
Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:30 am
This variation in upstream bandwidth will only really affect your voice quality if you've filled your available upstream bandwidth with heavy traffic use (e.g. due to bittorrent or other applications). For voice quality, it always better to underestimate the bandwidth you have available, so if you're seeing it range from 200-1000 Kbps, I might try setting it to 350-384 Kbps.

vbvamsi wrote:Hi Bobby - I looked at the QoS setting scenarios. I have configured my QoS to 700 as my upstream bandwidth is around 1000 according to the speed test.

I have done speed test on my computer a number of times and 9 out of 10 times it shows me around 1000 as my upstream bandwidth. But there are cases when I see only 200 or 300 as my upstream bandwidth.

I have a cable connection which I think is shared bandwidth and I don't have the whole bandwidth available at all times. Does this variation effect the voice quality in any way?

When I first setup ooma I had few dropped calls for couple of days, after that I didnt have any dropped calls for more than a week now. But I see issues where other people cant hear me some times. In my case, what do you think is the right number I have to put in my QoS settings.
#38007 by tks18
Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:41 pm
Please advise on setting in QoS.

My Upload speed is 6.20 Mb/s
Download is 18.63 Mb/s

What are my proper settings. Using Cox Cable. The numbers I come with seem too large.

Tom
#38008 by murphy
Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:47 pm
With speeds that high I would set both QOS numbers to 0 which disables QOS.