This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#26436 by wenmang
Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:10 am
Hi, all,
I checked my route Motorola SBG900 and it turns out that it doesn't have QoS setting, does it matters or not? Does ooma hub or telo have control on QoS? I see many people talking about setting QoS when call quality is bad, I don't have ooma yet, wondering whether I need a new router or not before I can pursue ooma concept.
#26438 by hpepper
Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:17 am
Well, Ooma has QOS built-into it, so QOS is to be done in the Ooma system. You can normally adjust QOS settings in the Ooma hub. But... the only thing I am unsure of is this is a unique modem, in that it is a modem and a wireless router all built in this one unit.

I am not sure how this combination would work - Some of the experts more familiar with this setup will chime in to address this one, I'm sure.
#26442 by dtalwar
Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:24 am
It really depends on the upstream and downstream capabilities of your Internet connection. Also, it depends on what else you will be doing in terms of using that bandwidth when you're on a voice call. For most users, the Ooma QoS control should suffice. We can offer specific advice if you give us more details around your ISP, upstream/downstream speeds, and other Internet usage (low, medium, heavy).
#26444 by southsound
Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:38 am
hpepper wrote:Well, Ooma has QOS built-into it, so QOS is to be done in the Ooma system. You can normally adjust QOS settings in the Ooma hub. But... the only thing I am unsure of is this is a unique modem, in that it is a modem and a wireless router all built in this one unit.

I am not sure how this combination would work - Some of the experts more familiar with this setup will chime in to address this one, I'm sure.

Expert I'm not - but I have my hub connected between my Actiontec GT701-WT combination modem/wireless router and my Netgear switch. The hub provides QoS for my wired connections and I only use the wireless capability for my iPod Touch. I have never had a problem with using the system this way, although my wireless activity is much less than my wired is. I also have a Telo plugged into the Netgear switch and it works fine after the hub. My Internet is not all that fast but it is all available here on the island: 1.5mbps down and 768kbps up.
#26457 by wenmang
Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:09 pm
SBG900 is a modem/router combined device and I am currently using Comcast but I plan to switch later to Verizon with ~3mb down/780k up.
#29556 by Stackowax
Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:05 pm
I use a Telo behind my Apple Airport Extreme and the latter has no provisions for adjusting QoS. As I understand it, when the Telo is set-up behind the Router, its QoS functionality is irrelevant. The reason I have my set-up configured this way, however, is that it sounds MUCH better with the Telo behind the router rather than in front of it. Based upon my experience it seems that, provided you have sufficient bandwidth--and/or relatively modest demands on that bandwidth--the ability to make QoS adjustments is not terribly important. FWIW, my ISP states that my connection can provide "up to" 3mb down and 780k up.