This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#1319 by kyoder
Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:20 pm
I just installed my Ooma hub on a cable internet service (Comcast is the ISP). I have great bandwidth (up = 2.8 Mbps, down = 15 - 18 Mbps), and I have told the Ooma hub UP = 2000 kbps and DOWN = 6000 kbps which should be plenty of bandwidth.

Ooma hub is set up between Comcast modem and a Netgear router. QOS in router is disabled. Am currently using Comcast's Digital Voice service, so phone line from Comcast modem goes into to Ooma, then from Ooma goes to jack that provides service to the rest of the house. (Don't ask. Reworking of very old phone wiring in very old house. But system is very functional.) If Ooma works well, will port number to Ooma and cancel Digital Voice.

There is slight delay in phone conversations. Just enough to be distracting. I would guess approx. .5 second or a bit more from time one person begins speaking until it is heard by person on the other end. Sometimes delay is closer to 1 sec. Echo is very limited, although occasionally detectable. Sound quality otherwise quite good. Detecting no hesitations, gaps in sound, etc.

Any suggestions to help me reduce this delay in sound transmission?

Thanks,

Kenton
#1546 by Bobby B
Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:17 am
Hi Kenton,

Do you experience delay when you place an outbound long distance call with ooma (e.g. you dial a long distance number and carry out a conversation)?

I am thinking that if local calls that are going through your existing VoIP connection might be causing the delay.

-Bobby
#1763 by Soundjudgment
Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:58 am
Disconnect everything after the Cable modem Ooma box (keeping the telephone attached of course) and dial out on the phone through the Internet and notice the speed. If it still sounds 'delayed'... hook up the router and computer and download the small, freeware version of the utility from http://www.pingplotter.com

Open pingplotter and use some address such as http://www.cnn.com ...etc. and notice the ping times from you to them. If it is consistantly over 100ms in router-hops, something is wrong and the cable company may need to be alerted.
#1775 by wase4711
Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:50 pm
you shouldn't have to use the phone OUT cable from the comcast modem at all, unless you are combining your comcast voip with ooma...you only need to get a INTERNET connection from Comcrap, NOT a phone/VOIP connection from them...
#19557 by manjagu
Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:06 am
I just installed Ooma and I am experiencing a 1 second delay in audio. This would be okay if I were talking to someone on the moon, but not someone 10 miles from me.

I have a 700kbs upload speed and 1.5Mbps download speed. The DSL modem is connected directly to a router. The Ooma box is connected to the router. Also connected to the router is a Vonage box. The Vonage system does not suffer from this issue. Both boxes are NOT run at the same time. No other internet loading is occurring.

Any thoughts?
#19663 by manjagu
Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:47 pm
Thanks for the response. Here's what I got back from the speed test:

Speed test statistics

---------------------

Download speed: 1468064 bps

Upload speed: 380600 bps

Download quality of service: 89 %

Upload quality of service: 99 %

Download test type: socket

Upload test type: socket

Maximum TCP delay: 266 ms

Average download pause: 8 ms

Minimum round trip time to server: 133 ms

Average round trip time to server: 135 ms

Estimated download bandwidth: 1520000bps

Route concurrency: 1.0353771

Download TCP forced idle: 0 %

Maximum route speed: 3941952bps
#19666 by niknak
Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:02 pm
your network exhibits delays. Especially the TCP delay of 266ms...anything over 100ms and call quality starts degrading

this is a network problem, try rebooting your router and DSL modem