This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#25425 by drumooma
Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:03 pm
After Slingbox problems with my modem-->hub-->router setup, I've moved the hub behind a new WRT54GL router, and put Tomato firmware on the WRT54GL for getting the QoS. I've got the QoS configured for highest priority from the Hub's MAC address, and no other rules in place. (Side note...as others have found, the Hub is not a very good router. I was experiencing some looooong latencies when web surfing and the Hub was in front of the router).

So now the hub sits behind the router and has a static internal IP address in my LAN. It's working, but call quality is not stellar. I've read that NAT can cause some voice quality problems, should I put the Hub in the router's DMZ and/or turn on any port forwarding to the Hub? Would any security risks be associated with doing so? thanks...
#25434 by dtalwar
Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:07 pm
I don't think there will be any risks associated with having the Hub in the DMZ in your setup ... though it is probably not necessary. I think the problem you're having is probably related to QoS rather than the Hub not able to get to Ooma servers. I have my Hub behind the router (D-Link DIR-655) with the router managing the QoS and I don't have any issues. The Hub is currently not in the DMZ though I have had it in the DMZ before, with no difference in quality. I am not familiar with Tomato but others in the foum may be and they may be able to offer specific to the QoS settings.
#25471 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:36 pm
drumooma wrote: I've read that NAT can cause some voice quality problems, should I put the Hub in the router's DMZ and/or turn on any port forwarding to the Hub? Would any security risks be associated with doing so? thanks...

No risk to the hub, but putting it in the router's DMZ and port forwarding would be redundant.