This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#25361 by creynoso
Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:06 am
When I call people, the call on my side is crystal clear - no complaints. BUT, the person I am speaking to says they hear some static and it is constant. Any ideas? Here are my Test Statistics. Thanks, CJ

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 5.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 5.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1639776 bps
Upload speed: 2083264 bps
Download quality of service: 49 %
Upload quality of service: 49 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 88 ms
Average download pause: 15 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 77 ms
Average round trip time to server: 81 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 28800000bps
Route concurrency: 17.563374
Download TCP forced idle: 77 %
Maximum route speed: 6808824bps
#25391 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:05 am
creynoso wrote:Download quality of service: 49 %
Upload quality of service: 49 %

These figures are not good, but there may be other factors. How is your Ooma device (Hub or Telo) connected relative to your modem and router (if you have a router)? How was the computer you ran the test from connected? Is the static heard by the other person on all calls or just to some numbers? What kind of phones are you using?
#25428 by creynoso
Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:07 pm
I have my ooma device connected directly to my cable modem and then my router to the ooma device. My computer is connected to the router. I am using AT&T 5.8 Ghz cordless phone system. I have Cox preferred services. It is suppose to provide me with download and upload speeds of 12.5 Mbps / 1 Mbps AND it says download speeds to 10 Mbps -- upload speeds to 768 Kbps. Should I connect get Cox Premier?? 30 Mbps / 3 Mbps and 25 Mbps and 2 Mbps respectively. Thanks, CJ
#25431 by WayneDsr
Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:13 pm
If you have a wireless network turn off those wireless phones and try a regular corded phone. Anything other than Dect 6 phones will cause interference to your wireless connection.

Wayne
#25442 by niknak
Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:35 pm
..Should I connect get Cox Premier?? 30 Mbps / 3 Mbps and 25 Mbps and 2 Mbps respectively...

throwing more bandwidth at your problem may or may not solve it...you have plenty of bandwidth available now and you still have issues ...I doubt the static is being caused by it ..there are other network settings that may have to be adjusted
also as Wayne mentioned cordless phones (unless DECT 6 ) cause problems...try calling using a corded phone
#25540 by Aveamantium
Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:40 am
creynoso wrote:I have my ooma device connected directly to my cable modem and then my router to the ooma device. My computer is connected to the router. I am using AT&T 5.8 Ghz cordless phone system. I have Cox preferred services. It is suppose to provide me with download and upload speeds of 12.5 Mbps / 1 Mbps AND it says download speeds to 10 Mbps -- upload speeds to 768 Kbps. Should I connect get Cox Premier?? 30 Mbps / 3 Mbps and 25 Mbps and 2 Mbps respectively. Thanks, CJ

Are you using the scout? Many have experienced the static on the non-ooma side of the call when using the scout.