This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#24832 by Aveamantium
Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:53 pm
jmassimilla wrote:
niknak wrote:I have FIOS service, 20Mbps D/L, 5Mbps U/L rock steady stats, so I don't need to use QOS - YMMV

Ditto here.

Wireless ISP 1.5 Down, 728 UP :cry:

So I need Qos...

It is only $29 per month though! Yes, I'm cheap.
#24839 by moosbrth
Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:06 pm
I heard FIOS works great, fiber network to the house. Unfortunately we have soild wire COMCAST here. I'm sure they have some Fiber on the it also but not to the house here.

John
#25034 by moosbrth
Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:22 pm
niknak wrote:
...Can the OOMA hub work after the router...

yes many folks here including me do it this way
it works just fine, and you may find that you do not need to make any QOS adjustments
you can run the speed tests here:
http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

and post ALL the results from the ADVANCED tab and someone will help you analyze the results

If you enter the actual up and down speeds in the OOMA, won't the OOMA use whatever it can? In other words, if you entered 15mb as download, won't it use it?

Thanks, John
#25035 by niknak
Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:29 pm
I have very high speed FIOS and I don't use any QOS settings, so I don't know what to enter, I'm sure someone else who is knowledgable will chime in
#25041 by Aveamantium
Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:14 pm
moosbrth wrote:
niknak wrote:
...Can the OOMA hub work after the router...

it works just fine, and you may find that you do not need to make any QOS adjustments

and post ALL the results from the ADVANCED tab and someone will help you analyze the results

If you enter the actual up and down speeds in the OOMA, won't the OOMA use whatever it can? In other words, if you entered 15mb as download, won't it use it?

Thanks, John

No, there should be a "reserved bandwidth" field (unless you're using a Telo, then it isn't there yet) and the default is 130kbps. So it will take the number you give it, reserve the 130 kbps and "should" give you the remaining. I say should because it has been shown by Groundhound that Ooma does seem to "reserve" more bandwidth than the 130kbps. However, this is conditional so it only takes place during a call!
#25224 by moosbrth
Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:44 pm

and post ALL the results from the ADVANCED tab and someone will help you analyze the results[/quote]

Thanks, John[/quote]
No, there should be a "reserved bandwidth" field (unless you're using a Telo, then it isn't there yet) and the default is 130kbps. So it will take the number you give it, reserve the 130 kbps and "should" give you the remaining. I say should because it has been shown by Groundhound that Ooma does seem to "reserve" more bandwidth than the 130kbps. However, this is conditional so it only takes place during a call![/quote]

Ok, understood, what about reserving down too, that field is "0", it has the ability to use all 15mb? If it tries to use all 15mb, won't bring the computer to it's knees?

John
#25228 by Aveamantium
Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:52 pm
Bandwidth reservation occurs in both directions... However, the "0" in the download is supposed to disable Qos in this direction so if you don't have any voice issues on the Ooma side of the call during high LAN usage I wouldn't worry about it. If you start to hear break outs during high LAN usage just set your total bandwidht in this field and the Ooma will reserve the 130kbps in this direction and give the rest to the LAN.

By the way, regardless of Qos settings the Hub uses a compressed codec for its calls so it should not use more than 40 kbps in either direction per active line. If you use the *99 prefix then it will use G.711 Codec and will use about 80 kbps in both directions per active line.
#25256 by moosbrth
Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:28 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Bandwidth reservation occurs in both directions... However, the "0" in the download is supposed to disable Qos in this direction so if you don't have any voice issues on the Ooma side of the call during high LAN usage I wouldn't worry about it. If you start to hear break outs during high LAN usage just set your total bandwidht in this field and the Ooma will reserve the 130kbps in this direction and give the rest to the LAN.

By the way, regardless of Qos settings the Hub uses a compressed codec for its calls so it should not use more than 40 kbps in either direction per active line. If you use the *99 prefix then it will use G.711 Codec and will use about 80 kbps in both directions per active line.

Ok, kind of understood, I don't want to appear thick headed but could I set the up and down to let's say 80 and then the rest would be reserved in essence for the network? :idea: I have had some echo and was cut off once also, but that was when the hub was in between the modem and the router.
#25262 by Aveamantium
Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:57 pm
Think of it this way... Let's say you have 1000kbps up and down. By entering this value into the up and down fields Ooma knows how much bandwidth you have and will allocate 130 kbps to the phone call (when in progress) and leave the remaining 870 kbps up and down for your LAN. If you tell it you only have 80 it will think you only have 80 and will still try to allocate 130 for the call, meaning it will leave nothing for your LAN.

Just remember if you want to use Ooma's Qos, you have to tell Ooma how much bandwidth you have so it can subtract what it needs and feed the rest to the LAN. It has no way of knowing what your actual speed is unless you enter it!