This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#24316 by jluce50
Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:41 pm
I have a problem I haven't seen described in any other threads (perhaps I just haven't look hard enough). Both participants get regular dropouts in the audio lasting 1-2 seconds. Other than that, voice quality is stellar for the most part. There's no static, delay, echo, etc. But it's bad enough that it makes carrying on a conversation an exercise in frustration.

I've tried the Hub behind the router with QOS configured on the router. I've tried it between the DSL modem and the router with QOS enabled on the Hub. Nothing I've tried seems to help.

Stats:
AT&T DSL (Oklahoma City)
6M down
768k up

MySpeed Voip Test Results:

Download speed 5130 Kbps (socket test)
Upload speed 656 Kbps (socket test)
Quality of service 98 %
Maximum delay 13 ms
Round trip time 58 ms
Upstream jitter 0.1 ms
Upstream packet loss 0 %
Upstream packet order 100 %
Upstream discards 0 %
#24327 by jluce50
Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:14 pm
Here are the results of that test. An upload QOS of 1%? Where did that come from? Everything else looks good as far as I can tell.

I do have a 2.4Ghz wireless network and a 5.8Ghz cordless phone, so I don't think there's a problem there. Been using the combination for a long time without problems.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5114624 bps
Upload speed: 452112 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 1 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 101 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 55 ms
Average round trip time to server: 55 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 5120000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0010511
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 9532360bps
#24328 by niknak
Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:16 pm
...Upload quality of service: 1 %...

this is the problem, you have network issues here...maybe try rebooting modem, router then ooma in order

...do have a 2.4Ghz wireless network and a 5.8Ghz cordless phone, so I don't think there's a problem there. Been using the combination for a long time without problems..

I don't use wireless in that range but i recall others here having problems with this setup unless the phones are DECT 6
#24375 by murphy
Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:55 am
Check the specs for your cordless phone. I have an AT&T 5.8 GHz cordless phone that uses 5.8 GHz in one direction and 2.4 GHz in the other direction.

Were your tests run from a computer that was connected by a LAN cable or was it connected by wireless?
If it was done via a wireless connection, rerun the test from a hard wired computer.