This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#22420 by dieselfish
Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:48 am
I have AT&T Uverse internet only and this comes with the 2wire 3700 modem/wireless router. I have 10/1.45 mbs speed. I have the ooma hub running in dmz mode directly from the 2wire. I have figured out that if I use the wireless or one of the ports directly out of the 2wire I get broken up outgoing voice.
I am having a hell of a time getting a clear outgoing call on this thing. I have a home network and I cant use any wireless. I think I will have to disable the att wireless and buy a separate wi-fi router to run from the home output on the ooma hub?
Anyone else have a problem like this? I have been fighting with trying to configure this setup for a week now. It appears that this OOma hub has to be absolutely setup in front of any other device. This is a problem since Uverse will not let you use a different modem.
#22421 by murphy
Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:58 am
My hub is behind my router and it works fine.
Does your modem/router have the ability to configure QOS?
#22433 by Groundhound
Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:30 am
I looked for an online user manual for your 2wire 3700 to see if QoS was user configurable, but could not find it. If you know of a link to such a manual, we can help you with the settings.
#22437 by dieselfish
Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:52 am
Yes,. very sorry. I got the models confused. The exact model# is 3800hgv-b. This gateway supplied by ATT has a Qos, but I cannot access the page in the configuration because ATT has it disabled since I am not using their VOIP.
#22439 by Groundhound
Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:04 am
dieselfish wrote:Yes,. very sorry. I got the models confused. The exact model# is 3800hgv-b. This gateway supplied by ATT has a Qos, but I cannot access the page in the configuration because ATT has it disabled since I am not using their VOIP.
Unfortunately, if you can't configure QoS in the ATT owned device, you're going to have to use it as just a modem and get another wireless router.
#22450 by dieselfish
Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:47 am
Thanks for the responses.
So I will have to disable wireless on the 2wire and use it strictly as a modem and run my entire network from the Home port, behind the Ooma hub using a separate wireless router and switch.

Should I use DMZ mode for the Ooma hub?
#22452 by Groundhound
Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:09 am
dieselfish wrote:Thanks for the responses.
So I will have to disable wireless on the 2wire and use it strictly as a modem and run my entire network from the Home port, behind the Ooma hub using a separate wireless router and switch.

You can run the hub before or after your wireless router, depending on your needs. If you're not sure about how to setup QoS in your router, then putting the hub before the router is the simplest thing to do.

By DMZ mode I assume you are talking about the setting in your current modem/router's configuration, and yes, you should place the hub in that DMZ if you choose to keep the hub connected directly to the modem.
#22539 by dieselfish
Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:09 pm
Groundhound wrote:

You can run the hub before or after your wireless router, depending on your needs. If you're not sure about how to setup QoS in your router, then putting the hub before the router is the simplest thing to do.

By DMZ mode I assume you are talking about the setting in your current modem/router's configuration, and yes, you should place the hub in that DMZ if you choose to keep the hub connected directly to the modem.

I cannot use the hub behind my router switch, If I have anything in front of the hub my calls break up. I have QOS setup exactly as instructed by Ooma.
#22567 by Groundhound
Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:58 pm
dieselfish wrote:
Groundhound wrote:

I cannot use the hub behind my router switch, If I have anything in front of the hub my calls break up. I have QOS setup exactly as instructed by Ooma.
I was referring to the new wireless router you mentioned getting earlier. In your case I think putting the hub before that router is best.