This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#22159 by nosirrahm
Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:28 pm
Good Afternoon,

I tried looking through the posts, but I gave up and decided to just ask.

I am a new Ooma user. After I connected the primary box to my cable modem all seemed to be fine. I then called Ooma Customer Service from my Ooma phone to ask a question and was faced with a echo whenever I spoke. It was very distracting to hear my voice repeat every I was saying.

The rep had me test my speed and then go to setup.ooma.com (the upload test appeared to be very slow). I made a change as suggested (upstream speed change to 136) and then called a friend. The echo was gone, but my internet speed is very slow. Once I hang up the phone everything speeds back up. My friend also reported hearing my voice cut out when I was playing loading various site pages.

What should I do to tweak so that I can use Ooma as a viable option. I had Vonage and did not see such issues (I was able to work on my laptop via wireless, my desktop, and talk on the phone).

Thanks!
#22164 by WayneDsr
Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:43 pm
Do you have a router in place?
If so, I imagine you are plugging the hub in between the router and the modem.

Placing the ooma hub behind the router is my choice. Plug the MODEM port of the hub to the router, as you would a pc.
Reboot the modem, router and the ooma hub after that connection.

Try it this way and see if it improves. If any quality of service is needed most routers have the option to adjust priority within the router menu.

Wayne
#22197 by but2002
Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:18 pm
nosirrahm wrote:Good Afternoon,

I tried looking through the posts, but I gave up and decided to just ask.

I am a new Ooma user. After I connected the primary box to my cable modem all seemed to be fine. I then called Ooma Customer Service from my Ooma phone to ask a question and was faced with a echo whenever I spoke. It was very distracting to hear my voice repeat every I was saying.

The rep had me test my speed and then go to setup.ooma.com (the upload test appeared to be very slow). I made a change as suggested (upstream speed change to 136) and then called a friend. The echo was gone, but my internet speed is very slow. Once I hang up the phone everything speeds back up. My friend also reported hearing my voice cut out when I was playing loading various site pages.

What should I do to tweak so that I can use Ooma as a viable option. I had Vonage and did not see such issues (I was able to work on my laptop via wireless, my desktop, and talk on the phone).

Thanks!

Here's what you're supposed to do

Take your internet speed

For example

My speed is
Down : 6012 KBPS
Up : 782 KBPS

In the setup.ooma.com site, under
Upstream Internet Speed (Kbps):
I put
And under
Downstream Internet Speed (Kbps):
I put 6012

You do the same, and it will not limit your internet bandwith as much as it has been
#22216 by nosirrahm
Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:51 pm
I entered the information into the setup. Without the phone:

7.01 Mb/s download
1.23 Mb/s upload

I called VM and tested again:
5.5 Mb/s download
.68 Mb/s upload

This is good - yes or no?

Thanks so much for the input!
#22227 by scottlindner
Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:24 am
One important note. Always disable AV software before running internet speed tests. I have found several unreliable results when performing the test with AV tools left on. I have verified this one various other technical, networking, and AV forums since first discovering it when doing initial testing with Ooma.

Scott
#22229 by but2002
Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:28 am
nosirrahm wrote:I entered the information into the setup. Without the phone:

7.01 Mb/s download
1.23 Mb/s upload

I called VM and tested again:
5.5 Mb/s download
.68 Mb/s upload

This is good - yes or no?

Thanks so much for the input!

Well since those values are Mb/s you need to convert to Kb/s
That would be
7010 kpbs and
1230 kbps
#22400 by nosirrahm
Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:48 pm
Yes, I did convert it, but I used the full values that my ISP says they can get.

I will test over the next few days. I just don't use my phone a lot so it is hard to really test the heck out of the connection.
#22578 by bverdon
Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:37 pm
Here's what you're supposed to do

Take your internet speed

For example

My speed is
Down : 6012 KBPS
Up : 782 KBPS

In the setup.ooma.com site, under
Upstream Internet Speed (Kbps):
I put
And under
Downstream Internet Speed (Kbps):
I put 6012

You do the same, and it will not limit your internet bandwith as much as it has been

Isn't that backwards? Shouldn't it be 6012 download and 782 upload?