This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#21067 by kdmc69
Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:29 am
I have concerns about the router I'm using. At the current time I have my hub behind the router. The router is a D-Link DI-524. It is no longer supported by D-Link. The last update for it is dated 2006. As far as I can see, there is no QOS adjustment in the router. I don't know if this means the QOS is automatically adjusted, or if the DI-524 does not handle QOS at all.
Anyway, with the lack of support on it, I figure it would be in my best interest to get a new router. That's where ya'll come into play. I have no idea what I should be looking for as far as features go. Do you have any suggestions on a reasonably priced router? I don't do any gaming and very little streaming of data, so I probably don't need a bunch of bells and whistles. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.
#21072 by WayneDsr
Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:45 am
Linksys wrt 54gs is my choice. I'm assuming you want wireless.

It's relatively inexpensive and has built in QOS.

I don't have experience with other home routers, this is based solely on my experience with this one.

Wayne
#21079 by daet
Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:26 am
I have two Netgear WNR834B wireless routers. They work well. Netgear's firmware supports QoS, although it cannot be adjusted. I purchased these routers for about $30 apiece on eBay.

I use dd-wrt, which is easy to install, permits the router to be configured as a wireless repeater (or wireless bridge), and has excellent fine-grained QoS support - using either the HTB or HFSC algorithms. The only issue that I have with dd-wrt is that QoS cannot be configured through its web interface, but you can create a QoS (firewall) shell script that is loaded automatically when the router is rebooted. My routers are stable, and have only been rebooted when I have had to make configuration changes.

I've also heard good things about the Linksys WRT54G routers. The advantage of the WRT54G is that in addition to dd-wrt, one can also use tomato as an alternate router firmware. Tomato's web interface is more robust that permits QoS setup without resorting to a shell script.

An advantage of the WNR834B is that it supports 802.11n (in addition to g and b).

DG
#21081 by Groundhound
Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:59 am
If you opt for the WRT54G, I'd recommend the "L" version - WRT54GL. This version allows more flexibility in using open-source firmware that has more QoS capability than the stock firmware.
#21095 by Aveamantium
Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:35 am
Groundhound wrote:If you opt for the WRT54G, I'd recommend the "L" version - WRT54GL. This version allows more flexibility in using open-source firmware that has more QoS capability than the stock firmware.

+1
#21096 by WayneDsr
Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:39 am
Yes, I'm in agreement with the L series. I had forgotten the newer Linksys routers do not use Linux. The L series does and has the ability to flash Tomato firmware which is awesome.

Wayne
#21099 by kdmc69
Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:20 pm
Thanks, guys! I will definitely look into the Linksys and Netgear. I'm not very tech savvy on the network stuff, so I'll look for the one(s) that will be easy to install and offers reliability. I've seen the Tomato s/w mentioned on the forum quite a bit. I'll definitely check on that, as well.
#21339 by kdmc69
Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:31 am
I've checked into the routers and found the WRT54DL at New Egg for a good price. However, they are offering a combo deal until the end of the month on router plus a Rosewill RNX-N2X dongle for about $10 more. I could definitely use something that will enhance the wireless signal to my wife's laptop which resides on the other side of the house. Does anyone have any experience with this device? My thought is that it ought to be worth $10 just to check it out and see if it performs as described. But, you never know. Thoughts?
#21344 by Groundhound
Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:48 am
kdmc69 wrote:I've checked into the routers and found the WRT54DL at New Egg for a good price. However, they are offering a combo deal until the end of the month on router plus a Rosewill RNX-N2X dongle for about $10 more. I could definitely use something that will enhance the wireless signal to my wife's laptop which resides on the other side of the house. Does anyone have any experience with this device? My thought is that it ought to be worth $10 just to check it out and see if it performs as described. But, you never know. Thoughts?
Looks like $54.99 for the router alone, and $84.28 for the combo.
#21350 by kdmc69
Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:46 pm
Thanks, Groundhound. I could have sworn the router was $74.99 when I looked at it. So, question is, is the Rosewill device worth $30, or should I just go with the router. Does anyone have suggestions for a better signal extender?