This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#20873 by dietz
Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:18 am
I've been working on trying to get the ooma voice quality to work for us. When I call out and talk to someone local (most of my calls) I will hear static instead of the person's voice - happens about half of the time. I can usually hear part of the word, but not the entire word. What seems weird is that when they are not talking, the static disappears. They hear me clearly, I just can't understand them. It seems better when I call long distance, but that isn't often enough for me to know for sure.
Just for kicks, I just tried using the *99 prefix before calling a local number, and instead of hearing part of a word and static, I hear clipped words - not enough to understand the conversation.

Here is my current setup:
Cable modem - ooma - router (I've switched ooma and router positions - no change)

I've played with all combinations of the qos settings.

Below is my latest stats:
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 10.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 2.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 9715976 bps
Upload speed: 2723664 bps
Download quality of service: 74 %
Upload quality of service: 58 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 138 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 73 ms
Average round trip time to server: 81 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 16000000bps
Route concurrency: 1.6467723
Download TCP forced idle: 60 %
Maximum route speed: --

Today has been my worst jitter and TCP day, they are usually it's much better, but that doesn't seem to improve the call quality. Unfortunately my qos is never very good. I did change the hub to use the built in MAC address - that kept the router from "losing" the internet every 30 minutes.

I know you guys are good - can you figure this one out?
#20899 by dietz
Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:31 pm
Update -

If I use *99 before calling out, I get a MUCH better connection. I'm still stumped what I can adjust to improve call quality.

Is there a difference between calling a cell phone and a landline? I've only had problems so far with landlines.