This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#20443 by dianadolce
Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:03 am
Anyone I call has lots of static and cutting out for up to 30 seconds. My system is attached to a 2wire wireless dsl modem from Telmex in Mexico. Read that you should have the ooma between the modem and a router. I have Linksys G router I can use, so will that eleminate the problem if I hook it up as is? Or is there a way to disable the wireless function of a modem?

Thank you,

Diana
#20450 by southsound
Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:49 am
dianadolce wrote:Anyone I call has lots of static and cutting out for up to 30 seconds. My system is attached to a 2wire wireless dsl modem from Telmex in Mexico. Read that you should have the ooma between the modem and a router. I have Linksys G router I can use, so will that eleminate the problem if I hook it up as is? Or is there a way to disable the wireless function of a modem?

Thank you,

Diana

Are you possibly using a cordless phone with your ooma? Wireless signals don't play nice with 2.4ghz cordless phones and also some 5.8ghz phones that use 2.4ghz for signaling between the phone and the base. If you are using this type of phone, try using a regular corded phone and see if things improve. There also might be a problem with your DSL connection - do you have anything plugged into the wall jack on the hub? Are you feeding the phone jack on the hub to your house wiring? All of these things can be factors. Let us know and we'll try to help!
#20460 by dianadolce
Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:18 am
Are you possibly using a cordless phone with your ooma? Wireless signals don't play nice with 2.4ghz cordless phones and also some 5.8ghz phones that use 2.4ghz for signaling between the phone and the base. If you are using this type of phone, try using a regular corded phone and see if things improve. There also might be a problem with your DSL connection - do you have anything plugged into the wall jack on the hub? Are you feeding the phone jack on the hub to your house wiring? All of these things can be factors. Let us know and we'll try to help![/quote]

Yes I am using wireless phones (5.8ghz) with the base plugged into the ooma. I have a electrical outlet next to the phone jack outlet on the wall that has a surge protector with all the power adapters (ooma, modem & phone) plugged into it. As for the wiring, we are in a condo on the 8th floor.
#20462 by southsound
Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:22 am
Try using an old-style corded phone and see if the static goes away. If so, then you can replace your 5.8ghz system with one of the new Uniden or Panasonic DECT 6.0 systems. Many more features, but most importanly, they won't interfere with your wireless system. Even if a 2.4 or 5.8ghz system works for a while, they will eventually change channel and when they do, you will have the problems you noted.

And lest we forget, welcome to ooma and to the forum! :cool:
#20467 by dianadolce
Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:40 am
southsound wrote:Try using an old-style corded phone and see if the static goes away. If so, then you can replace your 5.8ghz system with one of the new Uniden or Panasonic DECT 6.0 systems. Many more features, but most importanly, they won't interfere with your wireless system. Even if a 2.4 or 5.8ghz system works for a while, they will eventually change channel and when they do, you will have the problems you noted.

And lest we forget, welcome to ooma and to the forum! :cool:

Thank you Southsound...........I will try your recommendations when I get back down to MX next week.