This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#20428 by 4millie
Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:28 am
I just got my OOMA box last Sunday. My mom called me so we could test the sound quality. At first I was quite impressed... but then suddenly I heard an echo of my voice that maybe lasted 10 seconds. This happened 3 times within a 40 minute conversation.

I read some other blogs and was encouraged to see that others had some success in resolving this problem. I'm not sure if they were experiencing a "constant" echo... or an "occasional" echo, like myself. Anyhow, I emailed OOMA right away, but haven't heard back yet.

Any suggestions? It sounds like I may have to wait to hear back from them so we can "tweak" the routing of my calls through their 3rd party partners...?
#20455 by 4millie
Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:13 am
bryanlyle wrote:You may wait a while on that email response. Call them directly and see what they can do.

Thanks. Will do.
#20563 by Robspace1
Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:22 pm
4millie-get in line. I emailed them last week and they got back to me the very next day. Unfortunately, I was not home but they left a message to call them back. I have waited to call as I wanted to see how the echo works. I wanted to be able to help the tech person with some info in case he wants to know when this usually happens, day or night, is it nomally on long distace or local, how often and for how long etc.Well, after doing that abd running a log for a few days I decided that it was a big waste of time. The echo can happen at any time, and does, and it happens with local and LD calls as well.There is no pattern to this stupid echo. But one thing I can say for sure-it's getting worse! Its driving me nuts! I find myself actually arguing with my own echo!-(just kidding folks-not THAT nuts YET)-I will be calling them today though. I will give you this tech persons name and number if he says its ok
#29376 by jw530
Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:13 pm
Please share your solution with us. I have the same problem - occasional echo. Most of the time the call is extremely clear, but other times there is this echo. This problem started within the last 2 weeks.
#29377 by Robspace1
Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:22 pm
I was contacted by one of the tech support people from Ooma and we tried a few things. It was my phone. When I use my cordless phone , I get some echo at first but it seems to go away after a while. When I use my corded phone I get none. I haven't done alot of trial and error on this so I'm really only guessing but I do think that a cordless phone makes the echo happen or it helps to make it. If you have a corded phone try it out and see if the echo goes away. I'll use just my corded phone this week and let you know if I get any more echo.
#29621 by Marshall
Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:53 am
Hard to imagine why a cordless phone would result in echo over a corded phone. A speakerphone, I can imagine, but a cordless phone is functionally the same as a regular phone so I'm guessing this isn't your problem unless there's some bizarre interaction between the ooma box and the cordless base unit. I'm guessing they're next to each other? If this is it then Ooma has a problem.
#29667 by jthphoto
Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:02 pm
I've had my Ooma since Sept. 09, I too have an echo problem, be it cordless or corded phones. It does come and go on the same phone call. I'll keep an eye out here for an Ooma response.

It may be the diameter of the dsl/cable line used giving the echo (couldn't resist :)
#29721 by Robspace1
Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:46 pm
I can only tell you what worked for me. My cheap corded phone works perfect while my expensive cordless has echo. I have no explanation except that ingeneral, it has been my experience that calls all sound better on a corded phone then on a cordless.