This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#20195 by jdprice3
Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:40 am
Setup: cable modem --> ooma hub --> Apple Airport Extreme

Situation: Porting existing phone number to Ooma. Existing phone number is with ITP VOIP (= suck). I have set the ITP VOIP service to automatically forward calls to our existing phone number to the new ooma (temporary) phone number.

Problem: People calling our existing phone number cannot get through. There is just silence (no ringing, no talking) on the caller's end. At home, the ooma might ring but the person answering cannot hear anything.

Any help you can provide is appreciated!
#20203 by bw1
Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:37 am
If you just made the port request yesterday, then that shouldn't be the cause.

How did you activate your Ooma? Did you select a new phone number or did you select to use it with your existing phone number?

If you have a new Ooma assigned phone number, can you make calls out through Ooma and receive calls on that number?
#20211 by jdprice3
Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:18 pm
[quote="bw1"]If you just made the port request yesterday, then that shouldn't be the cause.

How did you activate your Ooma? Did you select a new phone number or did you select to use it with your existing phone number?

If you have a new Ooma assigned phone number, can you make calls out through Ooma and receive calls on that number?[/quote

I got a temp number which works fine when I call in. It is the existing number (that will be ported) that is experiencing the problem.
#20222 by niknak
Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:04 pm
when activating the hub did you choose to "integrate your landline" or keep landline separate and use a new number for ooma?

this is not the same as "porting" your number to ooma
#20223 by bw1
Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:11 pm
jdprice3 wrote:
bw1 wrote:If you just made the port request yesterday, then that shouldn't be the cause.

If you have a new Ooma assigned phone number, can you make calls out through Ooma and receive calls on that number?

I got a temp number which works fine when I call in. It is the existing number (that will be ported) that is experiencing the problem.

Have you tried forwarding your ITP VOIP number to another number like a cell phone?

It's hard to tell if the issue you're experiencing is with Ooma or with your ITP service.
#20344 by jdprice3
Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:10 pm
I will try ITP VOIP forward to cell phone and report back.

However, does anyone generally notice lags when you talk to someone? When I call in to my wife, there seems to be a short delay between what I say and when she hears it.

We have fast up/download cable internet (last speedtest.net result was 10MB down and 4MB up -- or whatever their speed metric is).

Can I "reserve" more bandwidth for ooma?

Thanks for all your help, by the way.
#20382 by niknak
Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:58 pm
...We have fast up/download cable internet (last speedtest.net result was 10MB down and 4MB up -- or whatever their speed metric is)...

VOIP call quality is dependent on many other factors besides speed. Neighborhood loading, latency, jitter, etc. can also degrade call quality. Run the speed test here
http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

and post all of your results and someone will help interpret them

...Can I "reserve" more bandwidth for ooma?..

There are ways to set QOS to give priority to calls depending how yours is set up. Modem - Ooma - PC? or Modem -Router-PC + Ooma
Once again post your configuration and someone will help