This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#19935 by enigmakairos
Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:25 pm
I have Qwest dry-loop/naked DSL, and my ooma service runs through my household lines. Last night my Craptacular Actiontec M1000 DSL Modem died (2 days after warranty expiration, btw). Today I replaced it with a Netgear DG834G. The Actiontec was just a modem, whereas the Netgear is a combo modem/4 port router. The setup is as follows: Wall-->Modem/Router-->(Ooma, Airport, Testing PC all plugged into router. I get the same results with just Ooma plugged in and Testing PC).

Since I plugged in the new modem, my incoming call quality is unclear, and my outgoing quality is null. Completely garbled. Unintelligible. My speed is around 7.5Mbps and jitter and packet loss come back at 0. Router firewall is off. Ideas?
#19936 by Groundhound
Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:44 pm
enigmakairos wrote:I have Qwest dry-loop/naked DSL, and my ooma service runs through my household lines. Last night my Craptacular Actiontec M1000 DSL Modem died (2 days after warranty expiration, btw). Today I replaced it with a Netgear DG834G. The Actiontec was just a modem, whereas the Netgear is a combo modem/4 port router. The setup is as follows: Wall-->Modem/Router-->(Ooma, Airport, Testing PC all plugged into router. I get the same results with just Ooma plugged in and Testing PC).

Since I plugged in the new modem, my incoming call quality is unclear, and my outgoing quality is null. Completely garbled. Unintelligible. My speed is around 7.5Mbps and jitter and packet loss come back at 0. Router firewall is off. Ideas?

If the Netgear router can handle QoS settings, I'd make those adjustments as allowed by the Netgear firmware. If not, I'd take it back and get a router that can handle QoS. Assuming your previous setup had your hub connected directly to your modem, the hub was able to use its default QoS settings to prioritize traffic connected to its home port. Now your hub is operating as a peer to your Airport and PC plugged into the Netgear router and unless you can set QoS in the router, high network loads by the other devices will interfere with your call quality.
#19959 by scottlindner
Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:55 pm
enigmakairos wrote:I have Qwest dry-loop/naked DSL, and my ooma service runs through my household lines. Last night my Craptacular Actiontec M1000 DSL Modem died (2 days after warranty expiration, btw). Today I replaced it with a Netgear DG834G. The Actiontec was just a modem, whereas the Netgear is a combo modem/4 port router. The setup is as follows: Wall-->Modem/Router-->(Ooma, Airport, Testing PC all plugged into router. I get the same results with just Ooma plugged in and Testing PC).

One thing to note, the M1000 is a router, it is not just a modem. To turn it into just a modem you need to enable Transparent Bridging.

I would check your DSL status to see if you are getting any DSL errors.

Scott
#20172 by enigmakairos
Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:32 am
Thanks for the advice, all.

I had the RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging setting on, so for me the M1000 was just a modem. (I prefer to let my Airports do the routing work.) It ended up being a firewall issue because the rules weren't being followed in the directed order, so I had to turn it off via port scan/dos protection settings.

Glad I was able to figure it out for myself considering Ooma's phone support was worse than useless, and 2nd tier did not end up addressing the issue at all, let alone within the timeframe I was given. When I've specifically informed the support tech that the only thing changed was the modem/router, you'd think someone would try to direct me towards modem/router related questions - not tell me to go replace my handset.
#24399 by jessdalrymp
Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:40 am
I changed my Modem/Router too and I have the same problems. I didn't understand a word of what you said. Could you explain what I need to do to fix the problem please?
#24407 by Groundhound
Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:08 am
jessdalrymp wrote:I changed my Modem/Router too and I have the same problems. I didn't understand a word of what you said. Could you explain what I need to do to fix the problem please?

Changed your modem/router to what?