This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#19774 by fpsfreak209
Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:48 pm
i just setup ooma and tested it for about an hour and so far so good,when people dial it(ooma) works perfect,when i dial somebody they say they hear some static.the only thing i did was just connect the ooma device(modem slot) to one of the free slots on the router and nothing else.before all that i activated it of course heh:)
#19788 by but2002
Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:20 am
If you are using the ooma Scout to make this call, that would explain some of the static.

The scout has been known to attach static to most outgoing audio, if not all, and can be annoying.
#19971 by niknak
Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:40 pm
true static on a line is sometimes caused by bad wiring or bad connections at wall jacks, plugs etc.
#19972 by fpsfreak209
Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:41 pm
hmm... i am using wired GE phone,will try some wireless phone,whats the best phone to use for this?
#19974 by southsound
Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:21 pm
fpsfreak209 wrote:hmm... i am using wired GE phone,will try some wireless phone,whats the best phone to use for this?

I like the Uniden DECT 6.0 phones. I just bought my second set of 5 handsets from Staples and with a coupon paid $75 for the lot. The model is 1580-5. Many folks like the Unidens or Panasonics best. Other systems may work, but fewer problems with these two brands. The DECT 6.0 technology uses 1.9ghz so it is immune to interference with wireless Internet connections.

If you are having problems with static on a wired phone and the phone is plugged directly into the phone port on the hub, then I would check the phone at a neighbor's or with a landline to see if the phone is OK. Have you connected the hub to your home's phone wiring in any way?
#19976 by fpsfreak209
Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:36 pm
nope,only thing connected to it is router+phone,thanks for the tip i willcheck into it
#19983 by scottlindner
Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:04 am
southsound wrote:
fpsfreak209 wrote:hmm... i am using wired GE phone,will try some wireless phone,whats the best phone to use for this?

I like the Uniden DECT 6.0 phones. I just bought my second set of 5 handsets from Staples and with a coupon paid $75 for the lot. The model is 1580-5. Many folks like the Unidens or Panasonics best. Other systems may work, but fewer problems with these two brands. The DECT 6.0 technology uses 1.9ghz so it is immune to interference with wireless Internet connections.

If you are having problems with static on a wired phone and the phone is plugged directly into the phone port on the hub, then I would check the phone at a neighbor's or with a landline to see if the phone is OK. Have you connected the hub to your home's phone wiring in any way?

We have a Uniden system as well, not DECT 6.0, and feel they are the most well thought out phones there are. There are some improvements we'd like to see, but they are darn close to perfection.

We have the Uniden TRU9485-3.

Scott