This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#19427 by niknak
Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:46 pm
Especially since this problem is occurring on local calls it sound like an impedance mismatch problem with the CLECs
#19429 by dmwlbk
Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:48 pm
southsound wrote:dmwlbk, maybe you missed my suggestion above. If so, I've gone into a little more detail here. I also had a terrible echo problem. Rather than go over the details in this post, you can read about it here. http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=784

ooma uses partners to connect the POTS world with their VOIP world. These partners rely on echo cancellation algorithms and hardware as well as ooma's routing information. When things don't go well they can't do much to determine the cause without logs of the problem calls. I can tell you from experience that they can and will fix your problem if they have the proper information. My service has been stellar for several months now. A simple call or two to customer support to open a ticket is not sufficient interaction to get the job done. JMHO - YMMV.

southsound,
I did see your post, and do appreciate the input. The logging is a good idea, but I can do better than that... I can reproduce the issue at will, and do reproduce it every day. Whenever I call my main home number (ooma) from my office number (local landline), my wife (at home) hears the echo. If I hang up and call on the second ooma line, there is no echo. If I hang up, and call back on the main number, the echo is back, 100% of the time. It is that simple.

I have relayed this to ooma cs, and also the fact that every call from a local landline to my main ooma number has had an echo.

FYI, I have had ooma for 3 months, and until I ported my number 2 weeks ago, I too had stellar service. Great call quality and no complaints at all. After my port went through , my wife is ready to throw them out.
#19432 by niknak
Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:59 pm
..and until I ported my number 2 weeks ago, I too had stellar service...

That is why ooma needs to work with the CLEC in your ratecenter to solve the issue
#20039 by in2dadark
Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:48 pm
I have echo problems with my ooma too. I wish they'd figure this out. Very annoying..

dmwlbk wrote:
southsound wrote:dmwlbk, maybe you missed my suggestion above. If so, I've gone into a little more detail here. I also had a terrible echo problem. Rather than go over the details in this post, you can read about it here. http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=784

ooma uses partners to connect the POTS world with their VOIP world. These partners rely on echo cancellation algorithms and hardware as well as ooma's routing information. When things don't go well they can't do much to determine the cause without logs of the problem calls. I can tell you from experience that they can and will fix your problem if they have the proper information. My service has been stellar for several months now. A simple call or two to customer support to open a ticket is not sufficient interaction to get the job done. JMHO - YMMV.

southsound,
I did see your post, and do appreciate the input. The logging is a good idea, but I can do better than that... I can reproduce the issue at will, and do reproduce it every day. Whenever I call my main home number (ooma) from my office number (local landline), my wife (at home) hears the echo. If I hang up and call on the second ooma line, there is no echo. If I hang up, and call back on the main number, the echo is back, 100% of the time. It is that simple.

I have relayed this to ooma cs, and also the fact that every call from a local landline to my main ooma number has had an echo.

FYI, I have had ooma for 3 months, and until I ported my number 2 weeks ago, I too had stellar service. Great call quality and no complaints at all. After my port went through , my wife is ready to throw them out.
#20040 by niknak
Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:59 pm
... and until I ported my number 2 weeks ago, I too had stellar service. Great call quality and no complaints at all. After my port went through , my wife is ready to throw them out...

Yours is a classic example of echo caused by the local telco's switching equipment. It is not enough to say you can reproduce it, you need to record the dates and times of calls so that the logs can be looked up Then the route your call took can be analyzed, and reconfigured

Sometimes the telco's reconfigure routes to save money, etc., but it turns out that has a bad effect on call quality. Echo cancellation may need to be adjusted, etc.
#20053 by southsound
Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:53 pm
in2dadark wrote:I have echo problems with my ooma too. I wish they'd figure this out. Very annoying..

So is typing in VERY LARGE but pretty colored letters when you are either unwilling or unaware of what you can do to solve the problem.

I've been married for 26 years and if I yelled out "I'M HUNGRY AND I WISH YOU WOULD FIGURE THIS OUT" I'm sure all I would get is a blank stare and maybe a lump. You have seen, and quoted, the way to resolve it. If you can't follow simple instructions to help ooma solve the problem, then maybe you can take advantage of ooma's liberal 30 money back guarantee. Like Jeff Foxworthy said, "Here's your sign!" :razz: