This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#18600 by alexooma
Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:29 pm
I've been having Ooma for almost a month now. Almost every call I've made or any incomig call I've received had very poor voice quality. It's either broken, stuttering or static associated with it. I called Ooma and they had me test on various speed test to no avail. We went through the entired set up and re-installation to narrow down the problem, but it did not help either. I've read some of the comments on Ooma Discussion forum and called AT&T to place a Dry-Loop for my DSL to see if this will fix the problem. AT&T did not want me to cancel the phone service so they offer me Elite DSL for $17.50 a month for 6mos and local call for $3.27/mo+tax. I have to call back after 6 months to see if there is or are future promotion for my DSL or I can just do back to the pro or basic for $25 & $20 respectively.
As for the DSL Dry-Loop, AT&T said that is a lone and direct DSL service that will have a flat charge of $40.00/mo. Since my bill is only $20.77/mo, I will stay with AT&T and return Ooma to Costco.
I haven't had any real success with Ooma but a lot of headache since day one, and could not get any real technical help with their reps except for keep testing the speed and go over the setup/installation and then blame DSL service.
By the way, when I am using the Ooma phone, my internet browser cannot load or in other words, I can't use the internet while using the phone with Ooma service.
I hope I'm explaining this clearly to everyone reading this. Your inputs are greatly appreciated. Now...I'm really tired with Ooma.
Anyone out there who can help me with this you are more than welcome to contact me @ alexnguyen20002000@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance for your help
#18604 by atici
Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:40 pm
alexooma wrote:By the way, when I am using the Ooma phone, my internet browser cannot load or in other words, I can't use the internet while using the phone with Ooma service.

I think this indicates you have some other problem. Are you using a 2.4Ghz cordless phone? If you really did not have internet then ooma couldn't work either. Do you mean your wireless internet goes down or your wired devices go down too?
#18608 by niknak
Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:45 pm
Unfortunately, even though OOMA tries to make setup easy, dealing with all the variables involved with networks is not. You need a certain level of understanding of how VOIP /TCPIP networking works.

That being said, DSL is usually a better connection than cable.

What speed tests did you run?

The one most used here is http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

If you post ALL your results someone here may be able
to diagnose
#18611 by southsound
Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:06 pm
atici I think you are on to something. I noticed that the OP was not on the forum so I sent an email to the address he listed and asked him to respond to the questions about his configuration. As atici said, I'll bet this is something we can attribute to interference and we'll be able to help the OP pretty quickly. :cool:
#18614 by tommies
Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:20 pm
For the folk here to be able to help you, you need to provide some info about your setup, the more details the better. For ex. whether you have ooma in front of router or behind router. Model of router & is it a wireless, and if you use cordless phone, what is the frequency of the phone(ie 2.4 MHz or 5.8MHz or Dect. 6.0?)

DSL is known to cause inference with the usage of the ooma scout. Do you happen to use the scout too? Do you use the phone that plug into the scout? From my past experience, this is might be the main source of your problem.
#18780 by dcittech
Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:45 pm
Hi,
we have had OOMA service since about February of this year and everything has been great up until about a week ago. Now all of a sudden the service is very blurry and full of static. Many times when we make a call it doesn't ring right or while in the middle of the call all of a sudden the call quality goes very bad to the point that the other party can not hear us or us hear them. No changes have been made to our configuration at all. We have Comcast internet and the speed is great so no slowness issues with that.

Any thoughts or can anyone assist? Thank you
#19408 by bw1
Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:47 am
dcittech wrote:Hi,
we have had OOMA service since about February of this year and everything has been great up until about a week ago. Now all of a sudden the service is very blurry and full of static. Many times when we make a call it doesn't ring right or while in the middle of the call all of a sudden the call quality goes very bad to the point that the other party can not hear us or us hear them. No changes have been made to our configuration at all. We have Comcast internet and the speed is great so no slowness issues with that.

Any thoughts or can anyone assist? Thank you

Even though your speed might be great with Comcast, your connection still may affect your VoIP calls. Run a test here: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and post your results.

Also, cable connections can be affected by use from others in your neighborhood on the same node and therefore can change at different times of the day. You may want to run the test when you're experiencing call quality issues.
#19409 by niknak
Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:51 am
...we have Comcast internet and the speed is great so no slowness issues with that...

speed is not the only issue when using VOIP, there are many network variables

run the tests as bw1 suggests and post the results
#20681 by Stackowax
Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:35 pm
Apologies for crashing the thread but I ran the speed test which can be seen here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2548/3929742197_a469356425_o.png

The results--especially the QoS results--seem to vary a lot from test to test but the interpretation of the results is always that my connection is "unable to produce a constant stream of data."

I've only had the phone a few days and thus far the call quality seems to be reasonably good. But it would be nice to be able to improve on the quality of the connection if possible. Suggestions?

Other (possibly relevant) info:

DSL connection with shared with landline. DSL filter on the DSL line. Hub connected between DSL modem and wireless router. QoS adjustments made on the Hub: Upstream set to 365 and Downstream 1460.
#20704 by niknak
Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:48 pm
I read your post that you provided the link to....
your download QOS is 52% which is not good
also your TCP delay is 250ms also not good. anything over 100ms and voice quality starts degrading

you basically have issues with your network, either the ISP, or your modem or router may be the problem