This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#18281 by wamblej
Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:47 pm
So far I love my ooma! I've only had it for a day, but my wife says that to completely get rid of our other phone service she wants it to be just as good! So i'm trying to work out any kinks right up front and make it just as good if not better.
When I call people they say they can hear me just fine and everything sounds excellent on their end. My only problem is every once in a while they have words that slur at the end. It sounds like a tv static that I hear and then the next word sounds fine.

My tests show the following results:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.2 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1634176 bps
Upload speed: 242264 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 2 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 41 ms
Average download pause: 14 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 21 ms
Average round trip time to server: 23 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 1634176bps
Route concurrency: --
Download TCP forced idle: --
Maximum route speed: 24965712bps
#18312 by ggilman
Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:29 pm
Welcome to the boards.

First, please describe your setup. Cable modem or DSL? Is the ooma connected between your modem and router or behind the router?

Do you have QoS configured?

Looking at the stats posted, "Upload quality of service: 2 %" is very bad. However, this number should only affect what the other end hears, not yours. Other numbers seem reasonable.
#18318 by nrs
Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:29 am
You may want to do the test say 5 times and see how the upload improves or the same. If you have cable you will have lot of variations.

I have a set up like cable modem>router>ooma, also I had modem>ooma>router for some time. I had same issues all I did just rest the ooma to factory setting and did not change any setting, just default. Now the call quality is extremely good and I love my ooma phone.
#18349 by wamblej
Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:55 am
I have cable>ooma>router. I am going to try it with the router between the cable/ooma. I may or may not try the QOS settings on my WRT54gs. Not sure. I'll probably try without first and then with. Any reccomendations on QOS config with router or not?
#18475 by wamblej
Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:57 pm
Update: It has only been a day and has not been through the high usage time of cable internet in the area, but it seems to be working better. I have my ooma behind my router with the router configured for QoS with the MAC address of the ooma. We'll see if the quality stays up!
#18509 by tommies
Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:12 pm
Upload quality of service: 2 %

The upload QoS will affect the call quality on the other end.
With cable service, the upload bandwidth is shared with the whole neighbordhood, and it's outside of your control and the ISP could do very little about it.

Your test result indicates that you upload bandwidth is saturated with very heavy traffics at times
#18585 by ggilman
Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:14 pm
tommies wrote:the ISP could do very little about it.

In reality I think they can. If an area is too congested, the ISP could do something about it if they wanted. They could split the logical "neighborhood" into smaller pieces, allocating each their own bandwidth, or increase the bandwidth to the neighborhood itself. Unfortunately, this isn't in the ISPs best interest. They'd rather have the absolute maximum number of paying customers with the least possible bandwidth allocated to them. Much like how airlines constantly try to get fit more seats onto an airplane.

So, while I believe they could, you could complain to them until you are blue in the face and they won't.

I'm just bitter though. I have the same issue. Most of the time my connection is fine but at others, it's terrible.
#18696 by tommies
Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:22 am
ggilman wrote:
tommies wrote:the ISP could do very little about it.

In reality I think they can. If an area is too congested, the ISP could do something about it if they wanted. They could split the logical "neighborhood" into smaller pieces, allocating each their own bandwidth, or increase the bandwidth to the neighborhood itself. Unfortunately, this isn't in the ISPs best interest. They'd rather have the absolute maximum number of paying customers with the least possible bandwidth allocated to them. Much like how airlines constantly try to get fit more seats onto an airplane.

So, while I believe they could, you could complain to them until you are blue in the face and they won't.

I'm just bitter though. I have the same issue. Most of the time my connection is fine but at others, it's terrible.

They (Comcast I believe) have tried to block bitorrent/file sharing traffic but run into a hug PR nightmare and a FCC investigation and eventually have to drop it.

As for your idea, it will cost cable companies tone of $$$ to do so, and imho they certainly won't do it anytime soon. My issue with Comcast also a money problem, they won't replace the outside cable from the tap into the house even a technician have requested a work order to do so. My house is a corner lot, and the outside cable runs from one corner to the opposit, appr. 150ft. Adding the distance up to attic and then down, can be up to 250ft. Inside, all cable is RG6. Outside cable (Comcast property) is like RG1, thinner than an hair. Even the tv is unwatchable with static. I canceled after a week and wait for years till Bellsouth offer DSL in my neighboardhood.