This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#17380 by rivman20
Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:31 pm
I installed the Ooma about two months ago. When I first hooked up my Scout, the quality was very poor. I was reading in the manual and realized it was probably because I still had my old land line coming in. I have since had the line disconnected, but my Scout phone is still not working. I get the dial tone, but when I make a call, the quality is very poor and eventually just cuts out and I have to reset my hub.

I am using Qwest DSL. All the lines in my house are cat5 to run the phone or a network. They all connect into a central box in the basement where the main line comes in and then distributes it to all the jacks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Last edited by rivman20 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#17384 by dtalwar
Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:36 pm
A couple of questions:

1) How's the quality with a phone connected directly to the Hub?
2) When you say you got the old land line disconnected, is it that the line is physically disconnected coming into the house?
3) How far is the Scout from the Hub?
#17385 by southsound
Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:38 pm
It could be one of several things. Have you tried using the scout with just a 6' or so cord between the hub and scout? This is a good test of how the scout is working without anything else in the mix. You mentioned that you just disconnected your landline - do you have DSL or cable or something else? Are you connecting the rest of the jacks in your home with ooma dialtone by using a cable from the hub phone jack to the wall or are the only things plugged into the wall jacks just the hub wall jack and the scout wall jack? Sometimes current from our old disconnected line still gives you problems with the scout. If you don't have DSL, try going out to the network box where the phone line comes from the telco and disconnecting the little cord or swinging the hinged jack that connects the telco to the home wiring. The more you can tell us about your installation, the more we can pinpoint the problem.
#17387 by rivman20
Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:49 pm
dtalwar wrote:A couple of questions:

1) How's the quality with a phone connected directly to the Hub?
2) When you say you got the old land line disconnected, is it that the line is physically disconnected coming into the house?
3) How far is the Scout from the Hub?

1) Quality on the hub is perfect. I plugged the scout into the hub and it worked perfect there as well, so I know the Scout is good.
2) I don't think the whole line is disconnected because I am using Qwest DSL, so the line is still active, I just had the phone shut off.
3) One room away so maybe 50 feet or so.
#17388 by rivman20
Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:52 pm
southsound wrote:It could be one of several things. Have you tried using the scout with just a 6' or so cord between the hub and scout? This is a good test of how the scout is working without anything else in the mix. You mentioned that you just disconnected your landline - do you have DSL or cable or something else? Are you connecting the rest of the jacks in your home with ooma dialtone by using a cable from the hub phone jack to the wall or are the only things plugged into the wall jacks just the hub wall jack and the scout wall jack? Sometimes current from our old disconnected line still gives you problems with the scout. If you don't have DSL, try going out to the network box where the phone line comes from the telco and disconnecting the little cord or swinging the hinged jack that connects the telco to the home wiring. The more you can tell us about your installation, the more we can pinpoint the problem.

I hooked the scout to my hub and it worked perfect. Yes, I have DSL coming in. The only things going to the wall is the wall port on the hub and the wall port on the scout.

Thanks for the response, hopefully this will help you understand my install more.
#17391 by southsound
Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 pm
The problem is that DSL and the HPNA signal that the scout/hub communicates with don't play nice together. Since you have DSL you have to leave the outside connection live - but most homes are wired with multiple pairs in the telephone cable. And many houses are wired for 2 lines at each jack. The simple way to get rid of the noise is to supply a clean path for the hub/scout communication by using that second line wiring. Pull the wall plate off in the room where the hub is and also where the scout is. If there are 4 wires going to the connector, then the red/green or white/blue pair are line 1 and the yellow/black or white/orange pair are line 2. Here is where you have a choice.

1. You can get a 2 line splitter (make sure it is for 2 lines and not just two phones on 1 line) at Radio shack. Place one at the hub and at the scout wall jacks. The wall port on the hub and on the scout will plug into Line 2 of each jack. Your DSL modem will plug into Line 1 of the one near the hub.

2. You can get a couple of 2 jack wall plates. Wire up the first jack for Line 1 and the second one for Line 2. The wall ports of both devices connect to the Line 2 jacks.

More questions, let us know.
#17392 by rivman20
Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:05 pm
southsound wrote:The problem is that DSL and the HPNA signal that the scout/hub communicates with don't play nice together. Since you have DSL you have to leave the outside connection live - but most homes are wired with multiple pairs in the telephone cable. And many houses are wired for 2 lines at each jack. The simple way to get rid of the noise is to supply a clean path for the hub/scout communication by using that second line wiring. Pull the wall plate off in the room where the hub is and also where the scout is. If there are 4 wires going to the connector, then the red/green or white/blue pair are line 1 and the yellow/black or white/orange pair are line 2. Here is where you have a choice.

1. You can get a 2 line splitter (make sure it is for 2 lines and not just two phones on 1 line) at Radio shack. Place one at the hub and at the scout wall jacks. The wall port on the hub and on the scout will plug into Line 2 of each jack. Your DSL modem will plug into Line 1 of the one near the hub.

2. You can get a couple of 2 jack wall plates. Wire up the first jack for Line 1 and the second one for Line 2. The wall ports of both devices connect to the Line 2 jacks.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I will pull the wall plates off tomorrow and see what it looks like in there. Then run to Radio Shack and let you know. Again, thank you so much for the help. I sure hope it works, it has been driving me crazy!!!
#17394 by rivman20
Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:09 pm
rivman20 wrote:
southsound wrote:The problem is that DSL and the HPNA signal that the scout/hub communicates with don't play nice together. Since you have DSL you have to leave the outside connection live - but most homes are wired with multiple pairs in the telephone cable. And many houses are wired for 2 lines at each jack. The simple way to get rid of the noise is to supply a clean path for the hub/scout communication by using that second line wiring. Pull the wall plate off in the room where the hub is and also where the scout is. If there are 4 wires going to the connector, then the red/green or white/blue pair are line 1 and the yellow/black or white/orange pair are line 2. Here is where you have a choice.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I will pull the wall plates off tomorrow and see what it looks like in there. Then run to Radio Shack and let you know. Again, thank you so much for the help. I sure hope it works, it has been driving me crazy!!!

Never mind, I just pulled off the wall plate. I actually have six wires going to the connector. Does that cause a problem?
#17396 by Groundhound
Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:10 pm
southsound wrote:1. You can get a 2 line splitter (make sure it is for 2 lines and not just two phones on 1 line) at Radio shack. Place one at the hub and at the scout wall jacks. The wall port on the hub and on the scout will plug into Line 2 of each jack. Your DSL modem will plug into Line 1 of the one near the hub.

This kind of splitter, just to clarify.
Edit: You'll probably need two of them and you'll pay top $ at Radio Shack.
splitter.jpeg
splitter.jpeg (33.05 KiB) Viewed 5151 times
Last edited by Groundhound on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#17397 by southsound
Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:15 pm
Not a all. Just use the white/orange pair at each plate. If they are not connected, they go to the black/yellow wires on the jack.

White/orange = Black

Orange/white = Yellow

Just a second thought. If this doesn't work, then the white/orange and orange/white wires are not connected in the network interface. Just open the box and connect like colors together, using either electrical tape, scotchlock connectors, or "beanies".