This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#877 by dloj333
Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:47 pm
Seems that people say I keep falling out where they can't hear me. I have set my QOS and tested it and it kept happening. Any clues?
Thanks in advance
#880 by trim81
Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:10 am
dloj333 wrote:Seems that people say I keep falling out where they can't hear me. I have set my QOS and tested it and it kept happening. Any clues?
Thanks in advance



Is your ooma before or after your router?
#889 by RBM
Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:44 pm
If I could jump in, I'm also having dropped voice, talk-over effects, and latency ever since my porting was completed last week. I don't have a router, just a stand-alone Motorola modem that is connected to the ooma hub's MODEM port. I have high speed internet through Cox Cable.

I have gone to the Speedtest.net website several times since reading about it in the ooma forum over the weekend. My download speed averages 1661 kb/s, my upload speed averages 280 kb/s, and Ping has ranged from 22-70 ms with a 100 mile distance to the nearest test server. I changed the 384 kb/s default upstream speed setting in my advanced ooma settings to 245 because I read on the forum that it's better to underestimate it rather than put 280 kb/s.

I've also gone to TestYourVoIp.com several times over the past few days and received 4.2 as the highest score, which they consider somewhere between "As good as a decent cellphone" and "Like calling next door". But the packet discards are always quite high: 31% from me to the test site in Boston and 36.1% from Boston to me (in the pie chart).

Other results (First number is to Boston / second number is from Boston to me: Codec 62.6%/57.9%, Latency 6.2/5.9, Packet Discards 2.0/2.4, Packet Loss 0.0/0.0, Round Trip Latency 227 ms/227 ms, Post Dial Delay 80 ms/ Post Dial Pickup 82 ms, Call Setup Time 85 ms/76 ms, Media Delay 189 ms/112 ms.

I did call ooma support yesterday and the tech said that packet discard should only be 1%. He suggested either getting a new modem (but mine is a recent 2006 model), or asking my cable company to "turn the signal down". I didn't understand that part but I didn't ask him to elaborate.

Can I hope for better call quality or does this look to be as good as it gets for me? Thank you.
#890 by trim81
Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:49 pm
RBM wrote:If I could jump in, I'm also having dropped voice, talk-over effects, and latency ever since my porting was completed last week. I don't have a router, just a stand-alone Motorola modem that is connected to the ooma hub's MODEM port. I have high speed internet through Cox Cable.

I have gone to the Speedtest.net website several times since reading about it in the ooma forum over the weekend. My download speed averages 1661 kb/s, my upload speed averages 280 kb/s, and Ping has ranged from 22-70 ms with a 100 mile distance to the nearest test server. I changed the 384 kb/s default upstream speed setting in my advanced ooma settings to 245 because I read on the forum that it's better to underestimate it rather than put 280 kb/s.

I've also gone to TestYourVoIp.com several times over the past few days and received 4.2 as the highest score, which they consider somewhere between "As good as a decent cellphone" and "Like calling next door". But the packet discards are always quite high: 31% from me to the test site in Boston and 36.1% from Boston to me (in the pie chart).

Other results (First number is to Boston / second number is from Boston to me: Codec 62.6%/57.9%, Latency 6.2/5.9, Packet Discards 2.0/2.4, Packet Loss 0.0/0.0, Round Trip Latency 227 ms/227 ms, Post Dial Delay 80 ms/ Post Dial Pickup 82 ms, Call Setup Time 85 ms/76 ms, Media Delay 189 ms/112 ms.

I did call ooma support yesterday and the tech said that packet discard should only be 1%. He suggested either getting a new modem (but mine is a recent 2006 model), or asking my cable company to "turn the signal down". I didn't understand that part but I didn't ask him to elaborate.

Can I hope for better call quality or does this look to be as good as it gets for me? Thank you.



22-70 ms ping is quite high for a first hop.

Go to your Cable Modems page at: http://192.168.100.1 --, somewhere in that page you will see your signal of upstream and downstream, post it back here and I will see if your signal is within spec.
#891 by RBM
Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:01 pm
Thanks for your help!

Downstream Frequency 747000000Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 41.1dB
Power Level 1.9dBmV

Upstream Frequency 26208000Hz
Power 44.0dBmV
#892 by trim81
Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:08 pm
RBM wrote:Thanks for your help!

Downstream Frequency 747000000Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 41.1dB
Power Level 1.9dBmV

Upstream Frequency 26208000Hz
Power 44.0dBmV



I am not a cable tech, but from the best of my knowledge, your modem's signal is perfect (within spec).

More info here for your modem level via Cox: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3692

-The only thing I can advise is connecting the Ooma directly to the cable modem and removing the LAN port of the Ooma hub (this will disconnect the computer side) ...or simply turn off your computer while making test calls.

Are the calls clean and static free without the computer on?

--Perhaps Ooma support have more answers to your issue.
#893 by RBM
Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:27 pm
trim81 wrote:Are the calls clean and static free without the computer on?

They are static-free, but there is delay. I made a call earlier today with the computer off and left a message on a company's voicemail. When they called back, they told me that they only caught the tail-end of the voicemail.

I appreciate your taking the time to check my modem. Thanks again.
#897 by dloj333
Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:34 am
Here is the main page on my cable modem:

PC Connectivity:
USB: Not Connected
Ethernet: 100 BaseT Full Duplex
USB Vendor ID: 06 cc
MAC Address:
CM Model: ECM715

Cable Signal: Ready
Tuning: Complete
Ranging: Complete

Data Service: Ready
Connecting: Complete
Configuring: Complete
Registering: Complete

Current state: Operational
Highest State Obtained: Operational
#2285 by rajeev
Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:26 pm
I have similar call dropping problem too. Recipients cant hear me. This problem is occurring almost on a regular basis. My hub is connected between DSL (AT&T pro) and router. Internet bandwidth or DSL connection in OK. Not sure if this is a hardware or VOIP problem. Its a deal breaker for me and I will return the unit ( 6 week old) if there is no solution.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests