This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#15764 by MikeekiM
Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:47 am
Hi all...

I love my ooma...but (yes, there's unfortunately a "but") I am experiencing a lot of dropped calls... This morning alone I was dropped a half dozen times... And this is NOT preceded by poor voice quality... It just drops without warning...

Now a little about my set up:

- My DSL service is running at 6mbps down, 768kbps up
- My PPPoe login is managed at the router level (not the modem level)
- My hub is installed behind (after) the router, not in between the router and modem
- My router is flashed with DD-WRT (but not using QoS)
- When a call is dropped, my DSL line is not under an extreme load

A couple of options I have been thinking about to reduce dropped calls:

- Should I move my hub between the modem and router? And if I do, that means I need to replace my modem (it's an older model that is not set up to handle the PPPoe login)
- Should I keep my hub where it is and configure/enable QoS on my DD-WRT router?

Will either of these help? And if so, which one is likely to be the better option? Are there other options I haven't considered?
#15769 by murphy
Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:10 am
The ooma hub can be configured to do PPPoe login.

Is your router set to always keep the PPPoe connection alive?
Many default to an inactivity timeout.

What is the length of the lease that your router is giving to the ooma hub?
If the lease expires during a phone call, it may well drop the connection.
(I have an old Vonage adapter, made by Motorola, that dumped an in progress call while it renewed it's DHCP lease). Check DHCP setup in the router and set the lease duration to the largest value possible. Forever is the best choice.
#15779 by WayneDsr
Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:50 am
Are you using a wireless router and older cordless phones?
These will interfer with each other. I have one that will bring my network down in a New York minute.

If so you might want to try a corded phone for a test.

Wayne
#15782 by MikeekiM
Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:08 am
murphy wrote:The ooma hub can be configured to do PPPoe login.

Is your router set to always keep the PPPoe connection alive?
Many default to an inactivity timeout.

What is the length of the lease that your router is giving to the ooma hub?
If the lease expires during a phone call, it may well drop the connection.
(I have an old Vonage adapter, made by Motorola, that dumped an in progress call while it renewed it's DHCP lease). Check DHCP setup in the router and set the lease duration to the largest value possible. Forever is the best choice.

Thanks...

Router keeps connection alive.
DHCP lease is "forever"
#15783 by MikeekiM
Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:09 am
WayneDsr wrote:Are you using a wireless router and older cordless phones?
These will interfer with each other. I have one that will bring my network down in a New York minute.

If so you might want to try a corded phone for a test.

Wayne

I am using a wired/corded phone...

Thanks...
#15786 by WayneDsr
Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:16 am
Does your internet connection drop out as well, or only the phone?
DSL or cable? Do you have a Scout connected?

If your internet stays up and does not slow down drasticly during a drop then it may be a routing problem. I would jot down ever instance, time and phone number and call Customer Support. They might be able to trace the problem. 888-711-6662

Wayne
#15807 by MikeekiM
Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:12 am
WayneDsr wrote:Does your internet connection drop out as well, or only the phone?
DSL or cable? Do you have a Scout connected?

If your internet stays up and does not slow down drasticly during a drop then it may be a routing problem. I would jot down ever instance, time and phone number and call Customer Support. They might be able to trace the problem. 888-711-6662

Wayne

Internet stays up...only the dropped call...
DSL
Scout connected
#15809 by WayneDsr
Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:20 am
Can you give it a trial period with out the scout connected?
If ooma is not set up to use a landline (provisioning) disconnect the WALL port on the ooma hub from the wall.

If you're using your phone lines to feed the scout you could be having an issue with your dsl and the hpna signal from the hub to the scout.

For the time being, for the test, you can hook your Scout to the hub putting them next to each other and connecting a short cable from WALL on the hub to the WALL on the Scout.

If everything works, there is a fix for the hpna/dsl issue.

Wayne
#15817 by MikeekiM
Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:07 pm
Funny... Ever since I originally wrote about the 6 drops that happened this morning, I have not had a single drop...

And I am on the phone ALL the time... So I am going to continue to monitor this situation...and if it starts to happen again (or more frequently) I will do as you suggest Wayne...

At this point, since I seem to be doing okay, I think I will just sit back and enjoy my free calling :D

Thanks for all the help everyone... I will actually check back here in a few days (or sooner if it starts happening again) to give you all an update...