This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#15458 by tkramer
Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:19 pm
Hi,
I'm new to Ooma (48 hours now). My wife placed a long distance call (IL to CA) and she said the line had some echo and a tin sound. My setup is as follows.
ISP is Comcast and I usually see 16Mbs down and ~ 9.8Mbs up.
My router is a Motorola Surfboard SB5120 which ties into my Apple Time Capsule.
I have the Ooma Hub located on a gig port on the TimeCapsule.
So Cable_Modem--->Time_Capsule_Router--->Ooma.
Ooma is pluged in from the Modem port to the Time Capsule gig port.
I have disabled QoS within the setup.ooma.com page.

Here is my output from http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html:
VoIP test statistics

--------------------

Jitter: you --> server: 0.5 ms

Jitter: server --> you: 1.0 ms

Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %

Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %

Packet discards: 0.0 %

Packets out of order: 0.0 %

Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics

---------------------

Download speed: 4981944 bps

Upload speed: 6510040 bps

Download quality of service: 99 %

Upload quality of service: 83 %

Download test type: socket

Upload test type: socket

Maximum TCP delay: 24 ms

Average download pause: 2 ms

Minimum round trip time to server: 77 ms

Average round trip time to server: 78 ms

Estimated download bandwidth: 14400000bps

Route concurrency: 2.8904378

Download TCP forced idle: 53 %

Maximum route speed: 6808824bps

Here is my speedtest.net output:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/537013212.png

The Time Capsule doesn't offer QoS and I'm not very keen on having the Ooma do the traffic shaping since it seems I have plenty of bandwidth.

Any hints or ideas?
Thanks!

tkramer
#15468 by bw1
Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:04 pm
Many times, echo is caused by the audio going from the speaker to the microphone on your handset. Try turning down the volume. When I had a landline, I had to turn the volume all the way up, because of noise on the line. Now with Ooma, I have to turn the volume down a couple of settings or I'll experience echo.

If that doesn't help, I would try putting the hub in front of the router and set the QoS to the appropriate values for your bandwidth. Many of us have found Ooma to do an excellent job with QoS and only runs when a call is in progress.
#15470 by niknak
Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:09 pm
I agree with bw1 - outgoing echo is usually caused by feedback to the handset. I assume you are hearing the echo, not the called station. All of your test results look very good, no reason the network is causing any problems unless it is sporadic
#15480 by tkramer
Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:45 pm
Interesting that you both said the volume. I noticed when the phones were on a land line, I had the volume turned all the way up. On my phone (Dect 6.0 system) I had to turn the volume down half way (very loud and clear) and I don't hear an echo. I bet you are both right and she doesn't know how to turn down her handset. I will adjust it down a bit and ask her to test again tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback.

tkramer
#15482 by southsound
Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:59 pm
tkramer wrote: Any hints or ideas?
Thanks!

tkramer

I think that niknak and bw1 nailed it. But I do have a hint. Wives can be somewhat unpredictable if you infer that they are causing a problem or possibly a little hard of hearing? So be very careful in how you word your findings to her. Something like, "You know, it's funny how much better the ooma system is than our old landline. I had to turn my handset volume way down because the sound was too loud. I'll bet you've been noticing the same thing. I'll adjust yours if you would like. By the way, have I told you how nice you look today? Can we take a break and just hug for a little while?"

One of our members does similar things and his wife bakes him brownies with walnuts!

And lest we all forget, welcome to ooma! Lots of nice people here. Great advice and a support group for those going through phone bill withdrawal. :cool: