This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#15223 by inspectorgene
Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:17 am
Got my ooma from Dell. I have tried every configuration in the book, but outgoing quality is just not acceptable. I have very poor jitter.

Not Ooma's fault. My DSL is crappy...I am really bummed. I wanted to tell ATT to jump off a cliff, but I guess I can't now...

I guess Dell will hit me with re-stocking and shipping charges to send back. Thinking of selling outright or putting up on Ebay.

How do I get rid of MY personal information and let someone else register the unit in THEIR name?

Thanks in advance.
#15226 by inspectorgene
Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:26 am
Thanks Wayne.

I have tested dozens of times over the last couple of days.

Here is the latest.

BTW, I may be leaving the computer for a while in case I don't reply right back.

Thanks in advance.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 127.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.2 %
Packet discards: 0.6 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.6

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 234864 bps
Upload speed: 156720 bps
Download quality of service: 57 %
Upload quality of service: 13 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 762 ms
Average download pause: 48 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 176 ms
Average round trip time to server: 270 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2880000bps
Route concurrency: 12.262416
Download TCP forced idle: 32 %
Maximum route speed: 2978856bps
#15227 by but2002
Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:29 am
Have you TRIED to call AT&T to get out there and fix it?

My tests were VERY similar to yours, and then about three weeks later, my DSL signal was very intermittent too. Turns out the line we were carried on was slowly getting severed by natural forces. So they switched us over to a new line, and it worked GOLD then. :D
#15229 by inspectorgene
Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:40 am
Not to offend anyone who is trying to help, but

I am so sick of calling ATT...

Rant on...

Every time I call them, I get all sorts of promises [$$ wise], and then I have to wait for the bill to show up to see that I was lied to.

The I call again and stay on the phone for 2 hours, get shifted from operator to operator, then get NEW promises, then wait a month for the bill to show up, and see that I was lied to AGAIN!

I am paying about $60.00 MORE a month than I was 6 months ago for the SAME basic services!!! Never ending run around.

Same with service. I spent over 6 months with disrupted phone service EVERY time it rained. After the tech guy made about 4 visits to my house, and I threatened to shut off my phone, a supervisor made him run a new overhead to my house. The OLD 25 year old line had been SPLICED due to lightning strikes TWICE!!!!!!

That helped with outages, but quality is still bad.

Rant off.

but2002 wrote:Have you TRIED to call AT&T to get out there and fix it?

My tests were VERY similar to yours, and then about three weeks later, my DSL signal was very intermittent too. Turns out the line we were carried on was slowly getting severed by natural forces. So they switched us over to a new line, and it worked GOLD then. :D
#15230 by but2002
Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:59 am
inspectorgene wrote:Not to offend anyone who is trying to help, but

I am so sick of calling ATT...

Rant on...

Every time I call them, I get all sorts of promises [$$ wise], and then I have to wait for the bill to show up to see that I was lied to.

The I call again and stay on the phone for 2 hours, get shifted from operator to operator, then get NEW promises, then wait a month for the bill to show up, and see that I was lied to AGAIN!

I am paying about $60.00 MORE a month than I was 6 months ago for the SAME basic services!!! Never ending run around.

Same with service. I spent over 6 months with disrupted phone service EVERY time it rained. After the tech guy made about 4 visits to my house, and I threatened to shut off my phone, a supervisor made him run a new overhead to my house. The OLD 25 year old line had been SPLICED due to lightning strikes TWICE!!!!!!

That helped with outages, but quality is still bad.

Rant off.

but2002 wrote:Have you TRIED to call AT&T to get out there and fix it?

It also depends on who you talk to.

Don't get "promises" from them, demand that someone come out and check your line. We had to keep calling and CALLING and CALLING to get any help

I then found out that if you call a certain center, you get the best results...1-888-720-1275
#15233 by bw1
Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:18 am
You have options -

Get DSL fixed.

Get your ISP from another service i.e. cable if available.

Contact Dell about returning. I purchase a monitor that I didn't like a few years ago and they sent me a return label for free shipping and there was no restocking fee. I don't know if they've changed they're policies, but I would bet that they can be flexible.

As far as selling your Ooma, I would check for some official information by calling support.

Someone else on here tried to buy a couple of Ooma's off ebay and wasn't able to activate them. I think he was able to send them back and get his money refunded.
#15236 by niknak
Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:49 am
You have very poor network numbers, not only jitter problem, but upload / download qos and tcp delay is causing your voip not to work

The problem is in your router settings or your network quality from the ISP
#15237 by Groundhound
Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:54 am
I certainly wouldn't give up and just continue to pay them for lousy service. If they won't come out and fix the problem, I would make it my passion to fire them just as soon as I could. Phone companies and cable companies don't reward customer loyalty, in fact they tend to punish it. So it's usually better to be a new customer with one or the other and then switch back when they begin to punish you.
#15241 by inspectorgene
Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:47 am
Thanks to all that have responded.

I am being held hostage by ATT.

Too far out in the country to have any other available option. Have just been able to get DSL on my number for last couple of years.

Bellsouth was much, much better company that before ATT buyout.