This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#14980 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:16 pm
I had a similar problem that turned out to be a problem with my account at the ISP's end of things. Log into your modem and see if there is a status or log page that shows you how long you've been connected, or how long the session is. If you keep getting new sessions, that could be related to your problem.

Scott
#14984 by Groundhound
Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:25 pm
niknak wrote:TCP delay is 571ms - in order for VOIP to work well this number should not be more than 100ms

Also, in your first test the upload QOS is 22% even before making a call - this is why you are having call quality problems

You will need to do some work to investigate these issues and tweak your system. These types of issues are most likely related to your ISP or your internal network settings - not ooma

His second test was run while a call was in progress, which is not how the test was intended, I don't think - although it could indicate how well his connection could support two simultaneous calls I suppose.
#14989 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:35 pm
Groundhound wrote:His second test was run while a call was in progress, which is not how the test was intended, I don't think - although it could indicate how well his connection could support two simultaneous calls I suppose.

I believe we're seeing the affects of the hub's built in QoS to give the Ooma calls priority over everything else. Remember, that test is run on a PC and the Ooma Hub only prioritizes traffic that it is generating. IF, these users were using their own routers to support QoS then we'd need to know if this VOIP test is truly simulating a VOIP call, or if it's just mimicking the amount of traffic, but not actually using the same protocols and compression algorithms.

Scott
#14990 by reserve
Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:44 pm
Scott, how would I long into my modem. I am running through a simple Motorola surfboard modem. I know how to log onto the router, but not the modem. Could this be an issue with Cox? Thanks again for all your help.
#14998 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:42 pm
reserve wrote:Scott, how would I long into my modem. I am running through a simple Motorola surfboard modem. I know how to log onto the router, but not the modem. Could this be an issue with Cox? Thanks again for all your help.

It's hard to say but it's always a good idea to check your modem status/logs to see what it's doing when you have suspicious performance.

I believe your modem's IP address is 192.168.100.1. Try this link and see if it brings up the status page. http://192.168.100.1

Scott
#15001 by atici
Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:51 pm
Why are you still going through this? All you need to do is connect ooma behind the router, place it in router's DMZ. Voila! Problem solved.
#15085 by reserve
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:42 am
atici wrote:Why are you still going through this? All you need to do is connect ooma behind the router, place it in router's DMZ. Voila! Problem solved.

Ok, problem solver, that sounds easy! I don't know exactly how to place it in the router's DMZ so if you can explain that to me I would really appreciate it. Ooma is already behind the router, so I guess all I need to do is put it in the DMZ, so if you could share this trick with me it sounds like I shouldn't have any more issues.
#15086 by niknak
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:45 am
... I don't know exactly how to place it in the router's DMZ so if you can explain that to me I would really appreciate it..

You need to log into your router and look for the DMZ "tab" or "section" (probably an advanced setting), then type in the ooma's IP address
#15088 by atici
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:50 am
If your ooma works fine behind the router, you will probably be ok without ooma being in the DMZ (demilitarized zone). It's just to ensure ooma will work all the time and all of its ports will be open.

What model router do you use? Does your router have packet prioritization (i.e. ability to classify/prioritize outgoing packets) ? If you do, it'd be great if you prioritize ooma outgoing packets. Basically the whole point of ooma being the first in chain after the modem is to ensure this is done. However when ooma is after the modem its throttling is extremely conservative. When ooma is behind the router, and your computers are uploading data, your ooma may not get as much upload bandwidth unless its packets are sent out first.