This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#14956 by reserve
Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:32 am
I have had the Ooma system installed for 2 weeks now and I have been dealing with one main issue which is I lose connection for a few seconds during a conversation and then it reconnects. I was told I needed to upgrade my internet, so I currently have 5mbs download and 2mbs upload.

I had the chance to speak with the wonderful Ooma customer service reps in the Philippines or wherever they are and they are utterly useless. I have an extremely bad taste in my mouth right now as I canceled my old service and I am dealing with this crap right now!!

I have it wired correctly, so that shouldn't be an issue!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!
#14966 by reserve
Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 pm
Standard corded phone. Ooma before router. Don't know what QoS is. Test results were good from the whichvoip.com. Sometimes I run the upload speed on my comp and they are way down when I am on the phone, yet when I am off the phone they seem to be fine. Could Ooma be messing with my upload speed?
#14967 by atici
Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:28 pm
So you can speak on the ooma phone (which uses internet) but you don't think you have internet connection? or is the ooma's phone connection dropping off (i.e. your calls disconnect).

Definitely try connecting ooma after the router. ooma is known to slow down connections when it is ahead of the router.
#14969 by niknak
Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:34 pm
Post all your test results so they can be analyzed...it is not just upload / download speed to look at
#14972 by reserve
Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:48 pm
VOIP - 2.8ms jitter 0.0% packet loss

Download Speed 5.24mbps
Upload Speed 3.65mbps

Quality of service 99%
Upload QoS service 22%
Round Trip Time 39ms
Max Delay 7ms
TCP Max Route Speed 13.4mbps
TCP Forced Idle 0%
Route Concurrency 1.0
Test Type: Socket Download/Socket Upload
Timer Accuracy 1ms
Connections used 1

While on a call here is what happens:

VOIP - 3.7ms jitter 0.0% packet loss

Download Speed 5.24mbps
Upload Speed 176kbps

Quality of service 51%
Upload QoS service 85%
Round Trip Time 40ms
Max Delay 571ms
TCP Max Route Speed 13.1mbps
TCP Forced Idle 0%
Route Concurrency 1.1
Timer Accuracy 1ms
Connections used 1

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. It seems as though the issues only occurs when I am on the phone. Why would the upload speed slow down while I am on the phone from 2-3mbps to 175-350kbps?

Thanks!!
#14974 by Groundhound
Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:55 pm
By default, your ooma hub is applying QoS to your upload bandwidth, giving priority to your call. When you say you are experiencing lost connection, do you mean the call is dropped or your Internet performance is degraded or both.
Last edited by Groundhound on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#14975 by but2002
Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:55 pm
reserve wrote:VOIP - 2.8ms jitter 0.0% packet loss

Download Speed 5.24mbps
Upload Speed 3.65mbps

Quality of service 99%
Upload QoS service 22%
Round Trip Time 39ms
Max Delay 7ms
TCP Max Route Speed 13.4mbps
TCP Forced Idle 0%
Route Concurrency 1.0
Timer Accuracy 1ms
Connections used 1

While on a call here is what happens:

VOIP - 3.7ms jitter 0.0% packet loss

Download Speed 5.24mbps
Upload Speed 176kbps

Quality of service 51%
Upload QoS service 85%
Round Trip Time 40ms
Max Delay 571ms
TCP Max Route Speed 13.1mbps
TCP Forced Idle 0%
Route Concurrency 1.1
Timer Accuracy 1ms
Connections used 1

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. It seems as though the issues only occurs when I am on the phone. Why would the upload speed slow down while I am on the phone from 2-3mbps to 175-350kbps?

Thanks!!

The Ooma does this by nature, it's called QoS, and it's what ENSURES good call quality when you're on the phone. You can adjust QOS rates at http://setup.ooma.com

IN the upload field, put 2000 in the upload slot, so you won't lose as much connection as you are now.
#14976 by niknak
Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:58 pm
TCP delay is 571ms - in order for VOIP to work well this number should not be more than 100ms

Also, in your first test the upload QOS is 22% even before making a call - this is why you are having call quality problems

You will need to do some work to investigate these issues and tweak your system. These types of issues are most likely related to your ISP or your internal network settings - not ooma