This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#20840 by rjsnau
Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:57 pm
I am having the same problem. I have played with all the QOS controls on both the ooma device and on my router several times and I have run tests playing music over the ooma device to a land line (since it is easier to tell if there is a break in the music than a conversation.) There is no doubt that there is an issue on the callers end that doesn't seem to improve with any change in settings.

My VoIP test comes back just fine. I have nothing left to try and think the issue is on OOMA's side. I tested skype too and didn't have any issue with it.

If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them! This is from the main hub, not the scout.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5947472 bps
Upload speed: 725576 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 92 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 37 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 54 ms
Average round trip time to server: 174 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 5947472bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 48 %
Maximum route speed: 9708888bps
#20891 by niknak
Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:00 pm
...I have played with all the QOS controls on both the ooma device and on my router several times..

You should only be adjusting QOS on one device - the hub if it is in front of the router, or the router if it is in front of the hub. Depending on how your network is set up, adjusting QOS on the device not closest to the modem will have no effect on QOS
#20977 by rjsnau
Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:41 am
niknak wrote:
...I have played with all the QOS controls on both the ooma device and on my router several times..

You should only be adjusting QOS on one device - the hub if it is in front of the router, or the router if it is in front of the hub. Depending on how your network is set up, adjusting QOS on the device not closest to the modem will have no effect on QOS

Thank you for the help. I tried disabling the QOS on the OOMA device and only setting QOS on the router as the router is built into the DSL modem so it would be the closest and still no luck. This is very frustrating because the voice quality for me is better than an land-line, it is just the caller who has the problems.
#20979 by niknak
Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:00 am
have you tried a different phone to make calls? your test numbers indicate no real network problems, and you say you hear the person fine, maybe a problem with the phone you are using?
#21025 by rjsnau
Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:23 pm
niknak wrote:have you tried a different phone to make calls? your test numbers indicate no real network problems, and you say you hear the person fine, maybe a problem with the phone you are using?

THANK YOU!!! I tried a different corded phone and it seemed to work fine. I guess sometimes the simplest answer is the right one. I am going to get a new cordless phone and try it.
#21028 by southsound
Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:35 pm
rjsnau wrote:I am going to get a new cordless phone and try it.

Make sure you purchase a new DECT 6.0 phone. The older 2.4 and even 5.8ghz phones don't play nice with wireless networking. The new DECT 6.0 phones from Panasonic or Uniden are reasonable and loaded with features. You can pick up a 5-handset Uniden for $89 AR at Staples. I bought one a couple of days ago using a $25 off $75 coupon and got mine for $75 without a rebate.
#21031 by niknak
Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:46 pm
rjsnau wrote:
niknak wrote:have you tried a different phone to make calls? your test numbers indicate no real network problems, and you say you hear the person fine, maybe a problem with the phone you are using?

THANK YOU!!! I tried a different corded phone and it seemed to work fine. I guess sometimes the simplest answer is the right one. I am going to get a new cordless phone and try it.

Glad to hear you solved the problem!
#24484 by rakoon26
Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:45 pm
I had the same issue with crackling and poor voice quality.
After reading post after post after post and running the test on whichvoip.com (all green lights except the last one)
and speed test on speakeasy.net (18268 kbs down 2178 kbs up)
I decided the issue was my netgear router (which was 3 weeks old)
I was using a Netgear WGR614 ($40)and replaced that router with a D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme Wireless-N Gigabit Router ($99)
and that is all I did my speed stayed about the same on speakeasy.net test but I got all green lights on whichvoip.com
Oh also I can now fax via ooma where I couldn't before.
The scout and The Hub are both performing with out any issues
I just wanted to post my solutions to this issue
#24487 by niknak
Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:54 pm
just more proof that most call quality issues are more likely to be network related rather than ooma related
glad to hear you fixed the problem, thanks for postingt the fix for all