This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#14610 by nolaguy
Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:07 pm
ok i recently hooked up my ooma, had some minor issues but never any with calls yet. last night i had one dropped call and called back it was fine. just a little while ago i had 3 dropps and static on the line during the call and when i wasnt dialing. i tried different phones same thing. at first it was using the scout but had a little stattic using the hub.
#14611 by WayneDsr
Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:18 pm
I would notate exactly what times the calls dropped or when you had static and call customer support during the week and let them know. They can usually trace the call logs to see what could be causing the issue.

Wayne
#15644 by djnchi
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:53 am
I have the same problem as well. I've had my ooma for about a week. It was working perfectly until this morning. Now all I get is static. If I answer a call its dropped. If I call someone and they answer its dropped. I was loving this device but now I'm thinking... GET MY MONEY BACK!!!
#15647 by southsound
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:58 am
djnchi wrote:I have the same problem as well. I've had my ooma for about a week. It was working perfectly until this morning. Now all I get is static. If I answer a call its dropped. If I call someone and they answer its dropped. I was loving this device but now I'm thinking... GET MY MONEY BACK!!!

May I ask about what kind of phone you are using and if you use wireless Internet to feed any PC's? I have a cordless Plantronics that absolutely kills my wireless - and can also cause problems with noise. Seems like most 2.4ghz systems scan for channels and although they may work great for a period of time, when they hit a frequency too close to that used by a wireless router all heck breaks loose.

If you have not done so, try using an old style corded phone and see if the noise goes away.
#15648 by WayneDsr
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:58 am
Static is usually caused by bad connections, even a bad phone. I would check your inside connections to make sure all is well.

Wayne

EDIT: Yes, what Southsound said as well....
#15652 by djnchi
Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:13 am
I have the 6mb Naked DSL from ATT. I purchased a Panasonic 6.0 Digital cordless phone the same day as ooma. I had no problem with either until this morning when calls drop as soon as someone answers either end. Its weird I know. Tech support hasn't been very helpful as of yet. I have to wait 24 to 48 hours for someone to call me back.
#15654 by WayneDsr
Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:20 am
Static in the phone lines isn't unique to voip. If any phone line observes static, it is a good indication of a bad or cold connection.
A bad phone cord (even new ones can go bad), a cable pulled out just a hair (pull out and reconnect all cables), a bad phone cord (earpiece to phone). Try a different phone, a wired one if possible.

A bad channel on the cordless phone could also be a culprit, switch channels if you can.

Wayne